Should I study the Diploma full-time?

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Should I study the Diploma full-time?

Post by dulciean » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:22 am

hello. Well the year is coming to an end soon- in our Centres we are all preparing for the Christmas break. time for portfolios, decorating and learning of Christmas songs for end-of-year concerts! phew! Luckily for me, my Centre closes for 2 weeks , so I am counting days until a well-deserved break. The children are tired , too, it's a big year for all!
I am pondering my options for the new year. As much as i love my full-time work with my pre-schoolers, I am commuting a long distance and missing out on any real time with my own kids and fiancee. The long hours take their toll! I am considering taking a break from work in the new year to study my Diploma full-time to just Get It Done! there are so very many jobs for diploma level quals. it would definately broaden my opportunities, and mean I could work much closer to home. My question is- How long do you guys think it would take to do my Diploma ( at home, self-paced) if I gave it about 6 hours a day?
I understand there is still the issue of practical placement, but i do have extensive experience that i can document. i find the written work easy enough, just time consuming when wedged between work and family committments! do you think I could do it in three months? six months? Just wanting some input from folks who know the Diploma and what a realistic expectation is for completion! :lol:

Lorina

Re: Should I study the Diploma full-time?

Post by Lorina » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi Dulciean,

I also did my diploma through correspondence, studying full time. I was able to complete it including work placement in about 4 months. It comes to 3 months of non stop study and 1 month of work placement. During the 4 months I was completely focussed on completing my assignments, however I studied between 8 - 10 hrs a day. While doing my diploma, even though I wanted to finish it within my study time, I made sure that I researched and did my assignments well. I always try to aim for distinction in everything. Sorry I'm not bragging I'm just making sure that you're aware that it's not about completing it fast but rather its about the amount of effort you put in it . Also, while I was studying full time, when I was starting a new module I didn't find it too difficult as I was on a steady flow. I didn't think it will be possible to complete it in 4 months and I wasn't trying to hurry it up or anything it kinda just all fell into place and before I knew it I finished. The only downfall is that there was no source of income but at that stage my partner was able to support me while I studied. So, as long as your financial plan sorted, you shouldn't have too much worry when you're studying.

Reading your post, brought me back memories. I was in a similar situation as you years ago. I was in between jobs and I decided to start studying full time after Christmas and finished up the following April. Although, I didn't have a child to worry about. ...

:geek: L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:13 pm

Hi Dulciean,

I found another topic in this forum, which also discusses full time study of the Diploma of Children's Services.

Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=26&t=738

This should give you a few more ideas to consider,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:44 am

thankyou for that L.A - muchly appreciated and certainly food for thought. x

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:13 pm

hey L.A..finishing the diploma in 4 months! u must be a genius! lol..

HI dulciean, I would recommend to give atleast 8-12 months to complete a diploma if everything goes well. If you are able to finish it quicker than that, then its good. At the same time, its better to just study as you go and not worry too much about trying to complete it fast. Often in these cases, students compromise on the quality of study in order to complete the course earlier. Its not about how fast you study, its how well you study.

Another thing to consider is that 1 student may be able to finish the course in 6 months while there many be some who struggle to complete it even after 2 years. So this can vary a lot for each individual and I guess you wont know until you try it out. It hugely depends on how focused and determined you are in completing your diploma study.

Best of luck. :thumbup:

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:47 pm

hi catchmeifucan- thanks for the reply. you make some very valid points. quality is key, i must agree ! i guess the thing is i would be taking a hiatus from paid employment to persue full-time study and am thinking about the state of my budget/ savings account! i suppose one advantage i have is having read alot on developmental theorists as a parent and having more than a pedestrian interest in child psychology and development in general- weird but true! 8 months might be feasible-but you're right i need to try it to find out. :|