Diploma or not? Confused

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Macy

Diploma or not? Confused

Post by Macy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:32 am

Hi, I rang up SEEK today to ask about the Cert 3 courses, they advised me that I would be better off doing the Diploma... fair enough however.... I rang up as I want to start my own Family Day Care, I don't work in a Day Care Centre and apart from a couple of years working in as registered childminder I don't have any experience (except with my own children).

So what to do? Do I go with the Cert 3 or go with the Diploma and head towards a Day Care Centre rather than my own business...? Can any one give me some advice... Would a Day Care Centre even be interested if I have just started a diploma with no Cert 3, Seek advised that I didn't need a Cert 3 to go for the diploma but I'm not so sure, just wondered if I have been given the hard sell... :think:
(I'm in QlD)

Lorina

Re: Diploma or not? Confused

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:01 am

There recently has been a few changes to the childcare qualifications. Instead of having to complete a cert 3 before continuing onto your diploma it's now all available within the diploma qualification itself. Meaning when you apply for the diploma qualification there are no pre requisites of having to be cert 3 qualified... Whether you are starting your own Family day care of working in a centre being a diploma qualified has advantages. As a family day carer you will gain a better understanding of a variety of topics such as diversity, NQS, EYLF, policies, procedures, necessary to run a FDC on your own. If you're going to study you might as well do the diploma as it will benefit you in many ways!

:geek:,
L.A