Diploma Expectations

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Diploma Expectations

Post by dulciean » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:32 am

Hello! ok...so am officially trying to balance full-time work ( 8 hour days & 3 hours commuting = 12 hour days!)and now studying my diploma ( plus being a mum/wife/etc! ). So am needing some guidance as to what type of length a Diploma level assessment usually is? I am doing it externally-ie through workbooks. Also perplexed how to explain in writing the Employment skills as per the categories. It seems a case of carefully reading the provided info/scenarios , then showing I understand/can apply the concepts learnt. Does this sound about right? I believe this 'new and improved' Diploma is quite different to the previous format, I showed it to my Director and some of it was quite unfamiliar! I can seei am going to earn that 1.5 years credit to the Uni course I want to do! :think:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Diploma Expectations

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 am

1 year credit to uni. Would be 1.5 if u completed your Adv Diploma as well
As for length well each assignment is different so one answer may only need a paragraph or two others much more
They prefer it if u keep yr answers simple & to the point, use bullet points where u can
Often u will read a question think it's complicated it must need a really lengthy answer but nope they just want the relevant bits in as little words as possible
Some assignments did mention how many words they required
If in doubt, ask your tutor
I RPLed most of my Diploma and the assignments I did do must have had a different format but just from what yr saying about the Employment Skills sounds about right
When they give u a scenario or case study u have to understand the concepts and answer accordingly. I find scenarios easy as all the info is in the para u just need to know what it is and in most cases common sense prevails. It's always easier to put yourself in the scenario provided as sometimes this just helps u know what u would do in that case rather than think of things in terms of what would that carer do

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Dulciean,

You are working very hard aren't you?? When I was doing my diploma externally I always answered the questions with alot of details (although from what I heard I think with TAFE they ask you to get to the point)...I don't really do my answers like this on purpose I just always need to provide alot of detailed information. I think when answering some scenarios they may clarify how many words (for e.g. 200-300 words) that they would like you to use... I'm not too sure if this happens with all the scenarios... I have a few prac students coming through my workplace and the Diploma assessment is different from what I studied 7 years ago...

I wish you the best of luck and let us know if you need any help,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 pm

with my assignments for one that asked for 1000 words I am sure I went well over :D ... doubt they majorly penalise you for going over! Id rather go over and get all the info in and some more than try and stick to their limits & struggle

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 pm

thanks for the help! am seriously considering asking to reduce my work hours- not quite juggling everything!
:sweating:
Last edited by dulciean on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:35 am

probably best, its hard to study, work and manage a home life

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:10 pm

hello- well as Fate would have it I got some time off work- but only because my son and then myself got some type of winter lurgy! So put that time to good use and have plowed through my first unit of Diploma work-phew! Am a bit perplexed exactly what they mean by the ' Employability skills' section in the back of the workbooks though. I can see this Diploma isn't going to be difficult so much as time -consuming. And my impatient nature just wants to Get It Done! oh well, baby steps! :think:

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:33 pm

lol u sound like me! i have no idea about the section u r talking about as i did not have any such thing in my units
are u doing your diploma as an existing worker?