A bit Ambitious

General discussions on Diploma or Advanced Diploma of Children's Services.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Children Services. Please refer to Diploma Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

A bit Ambitious

Post by Macoola » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Hello I am just about to finish my cert 3 throught tafe and have enrolled to do my diploma by correspondence and i was just wondering how long it will take to complete if i was planing on doing it full time is it a bit ambitious to try finish it in 1 year? Please excuse my ignorance I really have no idea!

Thankyou

kessie

Re: A bit Ambitious

Post by kessie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:26 am

Hi there,
I have just finished my diploma (correspondence) - started this Feburary. I also work a 3-4 days a week so if you are studying fulltime you can very easily achieve this. I did have no life in the weekends sometimes though. Some units I got through very fast, others, when you have to gather evidence take longer. If you work on a few at once I found this helps as for example I had to find newspaper articles relating to a subject and comment on them so if you are aware you can collect these over time while you are working on another assignment, if that makes sense? Good Luck!

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Wow thankyou so much for your reply Kessie you must have een pretty busy!

Thanx again Macoola

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:49 pm

i guess how quick u go thru it depends on how much time you dedicate to it.
i did 2 units within 2 weeks ... they were pretty easy ones though (in my opinion)
if you are doing it FT and not working you should be able to do it in less than a year for sure I think... again IF you put in the time and study on a regular basis and keep on top of it all.
I did my Diploma while working FT and did 4 units within 6 weeks ... the rest I was RPLed on so cant give u a total time.
Good Luck with it i am sure a year is more than achievable

sue073

Post by sue073 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:03 pm

I have been doing diploma for the last 2 years and still no way near finished. i have had to drop some due to family problems and health reasons. i work full time as GL and i'm struggling. i enrolled in Saturday classes to help and i feel overwhelmed with paperwork. i would love to finish it within a year. but i feel its time to take the easy way and RPL it. its allot of work and my brain doesn't work well in study mode. however my daughter is flying through it as she is still in assignment mode from only a year out of grade 12. i take my hat off to all that can work full time and study.
i have been studying in front of this computer and notes for the last 4 hours and its gone in and straight back out... :(
think its time i rested and re started in the morning.
what i would give to be able to study fulltime again ... well done fefe76 i dont know how you did it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi Macoola,

There has been another topic in this forum which has also talks about studying the diploma. Just thought I'd share my response with you, since I think this will hopefully provide you with a bit more information to help make up your mind...

My response from: Should I study the Diploma full-time?

"I also did my diploma through correspondence, studying full time. I was able to complete it including work placement in about 4 months. It comes to 3 months of non stop study and 1 month of work placement. During the 4 months I was completely focussed on completing my assignments, however I studied between 8 - 10 hrs a day. While doing my diploma, even though I wanted to finish it within my study time, I made sure that I researched and did my assignments well. I always try to aim for distinction in everything. Sorry I'm not bragging I'm just making sure that you're aware that it's not about completing it fast but rather its about the amount of effort you put in it . Also, while I was studying full time, when I was starting a new module I didn't find it too difficult as I was on a steady flow. I didn't think it will be possible to complete it in 4 months and I wasn't trying to hurry it up or anything it kinda just all fell into place and before I knew it I finished. The only downfall is that there was no source of income but at that stage my partner was able to support me while I studied. So, as long as your financial plan sorted, you shouldn't have too much worry when you're studying."

Even though I was able to complete it in a few months I'm not too sure if that is possible now. I mean, I did my Diploma over 4 years ago and from the assignment questions that I see on this forum, it has changed alot. From the questions, the Diploma seems to be alot more in depth, alot more detailed, more written essays, more scenario based questions etc... I didn't remember when I was completing it to be so theory based... So, basically what I'm trying to say is, give yourself at least 6 months to complete it. I think 6 months is a realistically enough expectation.

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:34 pm

Wow thankyou for all the rplies it has been great as I am only 16 and dont really have any contact with any other child care workers so its great to have these forums so I can get an idea about things!

Thanks so much again Macoola

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 pm

wow Macoola....you are only 16!! It is great to see you ambitious at this young age. Its a good start! :thumbup:

Also another thing, wouldn't you need to be at least 18 in order to work in a childcare?

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Yes I know the legal age is 18 but I have finished my cert 3 and will be 17 in april so by the time I have finished my diploma I will almost be 18! Also my Tafe teacher says the National regs that come out Jan 2012 state the legal age is now 17 havn't checked it yet but that's what she said! But yeah I love childcare and it's all I've ever wanted to do!

Thanks catchmeifucan

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm

Its lovely to see someone as young as yourself who knows what she wants to do and is getting ahead with the studies etc.
Good luck with it... I am sure you will do very well.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Thankyou fefe76! I hope I will do well to! Thankyou for all the support everyone!

Macoola:)

surfer

Post by surfer » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi,

l am looking into doing the diploma in OSHC and reading what you have said l am finding the whole process a bit daunting as it is a long time since l left school and done any studying, l have been advised to RPL the diploma but am not sure any ideas anyone?

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Hey Surfer just asking how long ago did you do your cert 3? Oh and where are your doing your diploma hrough?

surfer

Post by surfer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Macoola,

l have worked in OSHC since 2000, and dont have any qualifications.l just never had the time and now my children have finished their schooling l would like to start.l have been told l dont need to do a Certificate just jump to the Diploma. l have been looking at doing it on-line, and now l have made up my mind to start am a bit nervous.

Thanks for your reply

surfer

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Heey Surfer thats great you cant sart straight away on the diploma! Well in my opinion corispondence or online is the way to go as I did my certificate through tafe and wased so much time in class and it took me an hour and a half just to get there!! Basically all my work I did from home I only needed my teacher to ask questions! I have just sarted my diploma at AIECS online and although im not far in so far so good! I can learn at my own pace and have assistance when I need it! My teacher is also sending me a plan of what to do when, in order to finish in the time frame I want!!

Hope this helps regards Macoola

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:55 pm

I did my Diploma distance learning, even TAFEs offer it correspondance.
Good luck with it.
Are you able to RPL any units?