Watch

Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
mamamary2011

Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children

Post by mamamary2011 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi again could I request another help on this assessment task? Any ideas will be a great help on my study.

An analysis of accidents and near misses oveer the last 12 months involving both children and staff has revealed a disturbing pattern of possible complacency. The analysis shows:
Most accidents involving children occurred during outdoor late afternoon play
Most injuries and near misses involving staff occurred when setting up and packing away equipmen(outdoor slightly more than indoors)
Injuries to staff under 25 occurred at twice the rate as injuries to staff over 25
Falls were the common form of injury to children
The most common form of injury to staff was trapping fingers, dropping objects on feet and back strain
The director, Kate must decide how to address this issue in order to reduce accidents by 50%. Kate knows that the most effective strategy is to engage the team in developing an action plan.

Using the attached pro forma devise an action plan for Kate. You will need to include:

a) Desired outcomes
b) Strategies - How to best engage the team in finding solutions
c) How to take into account existing policies and procedures
d) What to take into account in the physical environment
e) Address training needs
f) Consider how to engage the older children in exploring safety
g) Criteria for evaluation

Thank you very much.

Kind Regards,
Mary

kessie

Re: Establish and maintain a safe and healthy environment for children

Post by kessie » Sat May 14, 2011 12:55 am

Hi, Have recently finished this unit and it hasn't been marked but I can give you what I came up with regardless?
a)The desired outcome is pretty much you want to reduce the number of injuries within a time frame - reduce to 50 % within a months and then a zero accident record and reveiw monthly unitl there is a zero accident record ....
b)Strategies to get staff onside is some kind of incentive such as when you reach the target a day off, dinner out etc...
c)Policies and proceedures - look at what you are doing now and what isn't working. Eg staff ratios - maybe you need and extra staff member to supervise the children at that time ,or change the packing up the equipment at that time of day...
D)The physical environment - liase with the OHS officer to have a safety check of equipment and flooring, if the children are constantly falling over Why??? Is the ground wet and slipery, how is the storage shed set up regarding packing up - eg maybe the equipment is lifted up on a high wall and it is unsafe?
e)Training needs - manual training and supervision safety training - new staff inductions on safety proceedures etc
f)Observe the children play and ask what games they are playing - read books, role play and discuss playground rules and safety

I really struggled with this question also so hope this gives you an idea of what to think about in your answers.

mamamary2011

Post by mamamary2011 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 am

Hi Kessie, that's a great ideas, I greatly appreciated your help.
Thank you very much.

Mary

remy

Post by remy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:42 am

hi kessie and mary, i was stuck on this assignment for a while; thank you for the answer. could you also hep me to answer me the last question:
g) criteria for evaluation......
thanks

kyles2412
Participator
Participator

Post by kyles2412 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 am

I recently handed this assessment in and I was asked to resubmit the last part of the question.

- Write a criteria for evaluating the action plan

I have no idea where to even start for this any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you