CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
BethBen

CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically

Post by BethBen » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:32 pm

case study
During afternoon play Braydon’s mother comes to you and asks for personal information about Raj, a boy in your room (4years). She asks you if Raj is the child that hits Braydon and uses rude words. She then suggests that Raj is aggressive because of his home life and culture. When you explained that you could not divulge any information due to confidentiality and felt uncomfortable with the stereotyping she was suggesting, she became annoyed and walked out of the room to collect her child from outside. When you went outside you overheard the mother talking to another parent about Raj saying, “His bad behaviour is because his family is from India and the parents are aggressive to him, I know because I watched a documentary on the home lives in India”.
The following day Braydon (3.5years) started excluding Raj from playing in the home corner saying “You are naughty and not allowed to be our friend, my mummy said so”. Raj became upset and sat by himself for the rest of the morning.
Generally in your room Raj is not aggressive and rarely yells or has confrontation and since Braydon started excluding him has become very withdrawn as the other boys in the room have started copying what Braydon is saying to him.
Raj’s mum and Raj’s uncle approached you the following day; Raj’s uncle was with his mother as his mother had limited English. Raj’s uncle told you that Raj was crying last night at home and said that he doesn’t want to come to care anymore because Braydon’s mummy said that he isn’t allowed any friends anymore. He requested that since Braydon is bullying her son, Braydon be removed from the room due to harassment effective immediately.
You are still fairly new to working as an educator and feel that this issue is getting quite out of hand.

Q. What do you think would be a suitable solution to the issue?

I was thinking on having an open day for the parents to come and meet the class and their family.

Lorina

Re: CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically

Post by Lorina » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:01 pm

I think both boys need to sit down together with an Educator and talk about how they are feeling with each other... once they clear the air and get an understanding of what the problem is and resolve it then they will all be friends again.

:geek:,
Lorina