CHCFC506A - Scenario: Parent Call Aboriginals Lazy To Child

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Kristal

CHCFC506A - Scenario: Parent Call Aboriginals Lazy To Child

Post by Kristal » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:14 am

Hi

Not sure how to tackle these two, 1) Tristan is an indigenous worker and often has to take unpaid leave to attend family obligations (cultural traditions). One morning Tristan is absent and Jess (7) says, "Tristan is on holidays again. Mum says that aboriginals are lazy.' What could I say to Jess?. my group leader just told me to tell Tristan that what he said wasn't very nice.
Last edited by Lorina on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: CHCFC506A - Scenario: Parent Calls Aboriginals Lazy To Child

Post by Lorina » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:43 am

Hi Kristal,

I think your group leader's response is a little vague. I mean in a way what Jess said "wasn't very nice" but she is only stating what she has heard through her parents. It also seems that with this scenario there is a bias attitude emerging about Aboriginal people and their cultural heritage. It's important that as soon as you notice bias attitudes to eliminate them as soon as possible. If this situation happened to me I would explain to Jess about the Aboriginal culture and heritage. If you don't know anything about it, then RESEARCH! When Tristan gets back I would ask him to have discussions with the children about the importance of the cultural traditions he attends, show photos, provide activities to get the children involved in Aboriginal culture. Since Jess is 7 she will begin to understand why Tristan needs to take time off to attend cultural traditions.

I am also including an attachment which provides information on working and supporting aboriginal families. Have a read through it and it may give you a few more ideas to add to your response.

[attachment=0]Supporting_Aboriginal_Families.pdf[/attachment]
Cheers :geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kristal

Re: CHCFC506A - Scenario: Parent Call Aboriginals Lazy To Child

Post by Kristal » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:46 am

Hi L.A.

Thank you so much! The information you gave me was great. I have read through the attachemnt and found it very helpful. Once again thank-you.

Daggy

Lorina

Re: CHCFC506A - Scenario: Parent Calls Aboriginals Lazy To Child

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:41 pm

Hey Daggy,

No worries...happy to help! :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A