CHCECE001- Scenario: Abi & Bem - African Culture

Forum for students doing their Diploma in Childcare.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
veronicanguyen
Participator
Participator

CHCECE001- Scenario: Abi & Bem - African Culture

Post by veronicanguyen » Mon May 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Hi everyone, please give me a help.

1) Abi and Bem, who are from an African culture, have recently joined your service. The other children are interested to find out more about where they are from and what language they speak. To introduce Abi and Bem's culture to the whole group, you need to plan an activity that will inform the group and help them all to understand some of the African traditions. You want to focus on Abi and Bem's uniqueness, not their differences, to develop a respectful and inclusive activity.

Describe an experience that would promote understanding, celebrate diversity and build constructive relationships.

My answer:
- To promote understanding, celebrate diversiy: I will introduce African music and African drum. Music is a form of communication and it plays a functional role in African society. I will introduce some African songs to the children. I can use the songs to talk about Abi and Bem's language. African drum is the most significant musical instrument in African music.

To build constructive relationship with Abi and Bem: I will show them that I enjoy having them in my room. I will encourage them in activities.

But, I do not really understand when they ask me "to focus on Abi and Bem's uniqueness, not their differences, to develop a respectful and inclusive activity." What does it really mean?

2) Describe your service's policies and procedures relating to processing in a culturally sensitive way. What aspects might you have to consider regarding how and with whom this information should be shared?

My answer:
My service has confidentiality policy but it does not have any policies or procedures relating to processing in a culturally sensitive way.
I can say something generally like: Individuals wishing to access their personal information must apply to the Director or Assistant Director, who will arrange for an appropriate time and private place for this to occur under their supervision. I need to consider the reasons why I have to share the information and the possible outcomes for the sharing.

I could not find any specific information to answer this question.

Thanking in advance for helping me.

Veronica
Last edited by Lorina on Tue May 19, 2015 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorina

Re: CHCECE001- Scenario: Abi & Bem - African Culture

Post by Lorina » Tue May 19, 2015 4:20 am

I like your experience! Introducing African music is a great way to help the children understand African culture. Talking and introducing the different types of African instruments such as the drums (you mentioned) is unique to their culture so I think you covered that point! :thumbup:

Here is some more info on African music which may help you add more to your response (if you want):

Music Of Africa

In regards to the policies and procedures some include:

- equal opportunity
- anti bias
- cultural diversity

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

veronicanguyen
Participator
Participator

Post by veronicanguyen » Tue May 19, 2015 4:39 pm

Hi Lorina, thank you so much for your help. I always try to answer questions myself, but sometimes it is hard to really know what the questions are and sometimes I just can not find enough documents from the service where I am working to help me with the answers.

Many thanks to you. You are just awesome :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Tue May 19, 2015 4:47 pm

Happy to help! :thumbup:

I can see that you're trying hard when answering these questions. It's good for me to read your response as it helps me to understand what more info you need and if there is anything else that you can include...

:geek:,
Lorina

Rahelu

Post by Rahelu » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi,
I can not find any answers for my assessment. It is a wastage of my time and money. Please return my money back. I donot need your support.
So disappointing.
Thank you,
Manpreet