Worried several children in our room have serious issues...

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Barbie
Participator
Participator

Worried several children in our room have serious issues...

Post by Barbie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:41 pm

I came in mid way to a toddler room that hasnt had a qualified in there all year. Basically being run by young girls some not even Cert III. 25 in the room with 4 staff!! Unfortunately each day the parent is greeted and told 'he's had a really good day today' when for many this is not the case. These children need one on one care and stopping for them all the time is hurting the other children in a room that is already stretched to the limit.

Child 1: Kicks, headbutts, throws self on floor, has fixation and obsession with certain objects then throws them in anger until someone picks them up and gives them to him which he then again throws and screams for someone to get for him.

Child 2: Throws self on floor and makes harrowing screaching noise raaaah raaah raaah over and over often all day, throws objects at other children and will often only answer with raaaaah raaaaaaaah when a carer tries to communicate with him. Autism runs in family.

Child 3: Has not said one word since i have been there is basically a mute child.

Child 4: Comes in kicking and screaming big fight to get in the door with mum, tries to run out the door all the time, screams over and over i want my Mum for 8 hours the entire day over and over like a broken record. Other children cover their ears and tell me its too loud for them. This boy attended the centre for a year and was like this all year went overseas and has now returned and still carrying on like this.

I could go on about others who i suspect have ADHD but i find them okay to manage as i just keep them busy although challenging it seems a common thing.

These other children i am at a loss over though and as i said earlier the parents are always told they are fine they've had a great day etc etc. There is even one unqualified who used to be in there but likes to put her two bobs worth in on anything and everything - seems to think she is a doctor and keeps insisting there is nothing wrong with these children then gives a full rundown on the supposed medical diagnoses for autisms, asbergers etc.

So my question is what should be done in this situation? The original explanation for it when i first got there was they are too young to be assessed but now nearing the end of the year it has really become a joke as they will go into a room with only 2 staff member next year who surely cant put up with this.

Keta1992

Re: Worried several children in our room have serious issues...

Post by Keta1992 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:36 am

Wow you have your hands full! I think my only real advice would be to get real with some parents and do it fast, surely this behaviour can not be only happening at childcare, sit down and talk to the parents see what they do at home, see how parents mange behaviour at home etc at least start talking to it about it with them so when they do end up being sujested fo be assesed ot doesnt come put of nowhere.does child 3 talk at home maybe the encrioment is to loud or big for them to bother to be heard if there not then go do the usal road sujest to parents to get ears tested etc then say maybe some speech theropy may be benafical for the child.. Child 4 - does it get cared for by anyone other then mum? Ie family member babysitter etc how are they with them? How does mum feel about all the crys and the fighting? Maybe sujest she spends more time with child at center try and turn it into a positive experence etc but in the end maybe the centers not the best fit for the child, maybe a smaller centre or family day care..

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:59 am

I would be seriously talking to the Director of the centre and explaining the situation. Make sure you have notes on these children's behaviour patterns, basically start getting "evidence" so take a week to observe and write everything down and then go to her.

Something is DEF going wrong in that room, possibly starting with unqualified staff.... how is that even legal?????

I would ask parents questions but I think you are going to have to be subtle about it and see how you go. Parents will not take you telling them or implying that their child has issues lightly which is why you may need to set up meetings to be had with parents privately with your Director present.

Not sure how you will go with the Director because if she is ok having an unqualified run a room & toddlers rooms of all rooms then you may run into some problems there! however you can try

From what you have written I think these children definitely need to be seen by a professional

bekkabop

Post by bekkabop » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:50 pm

I've experienced a similar situation. A lot of the problem I found was caused by lack of routine within the room and many behvioural issues settled down once a clear routine was in place. It's important that everyone follows the routine right down to the last full stop.
Child 1 and 2 probably would benefit from some form of assessment.
Child 3 sounds like it could be an attachment issue. I've experienced a child who could speak but wouldn't. To get her to speak you would have to get really close to her, whisper and get her to whisper back and even then it wasn't a guarantee that she'd talk. As soon as she was out the door with mum and dad however you cuoldn't get her to shut up.
Child 4 is definitely an over attachment to mum. Ensure there are his favourite toys out for him before he gets there, get mum to give him something like a teddy with her perfume on it, make up a special handshake he and mum can do before she goes, if possible get him to wave to her at the window of the front room or something as she gets into the car. The last is something we do at my work which works really well. The first few times the child may just cry but as this becomes a routine they will start to watch mum/dad leave, then eventually wave and smile. It's often helpful if the parents flash the car lights or beep the horn for the child as well. Racing their child to the window is helpful too.