Child with Cerebral Palsy

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Child with Cerebral Palsy

Post by tinkataylor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi guys,

I am the group leader in the Junior Kindy room 2.5-3 years old, and my Director told me I might be getting a new child with cerebral palsy. I met him last week, he is actually 3 years old and should be in the Senior kindy room however his mother would like to put him in my room because of his needs. I'm of course fine with this its just that I have NO experience with children with c.p.!
The child seems lovely and I am looking forward to caring for him, has anyone got any information on how to care for him and any personal experiences?

Thanks!
Tay

Lorina

Re: Child with Cerebral Palsy

Post by Lorina » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:57 pm

I haven't had any experience working with a child who has cerebral palsy, however I'm adding an attachment which provides a lot of strategies for early childhood educators.

[attachment=0]preschool_fact_pack_cerebal_palsy.pdf[/attachment]
Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

glaive
Participator
Participator

Post by glaive » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:30 am

I do have experience with cp, however from what I know it's different with everyone in regards to physical and/or mental disabilities. I do believe the parent would give you more details in regards to his particular care. Say, if he's mentally disabled he might require help with feeding, etc.

The two boys I met - well lived with - who had cp were both mentally and physically disabled, so they required showering, nappy changing, etc. They were around 15 years old though at the time. They did learn to feed themselves and manage 3-5 word sentences. Also they loved being included everywhere (at little kids' parties for instance) as just one of the group.

Hope this helps a little, let us know if it all works out. :)

tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Post by tinkataylor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:16 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, i haven't heard anything as of yet as to whether he is enrolling, i hope he will, ill let you know!