Child eating paint

Discuss issues regarding children's behaviour at your centre, disciplining children, dealing with difficult child, biting child, aggresive children and more..
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Child eating paint

Post by Steffelz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:48 pm

Im not sure if this is in the right section, but anyway, there is a 3 year old boy in the kindy class at one of the centers that I work for, the educators have always said he was a very "tactile" child,eating things like play dough, and putting things in his mouth all the time and trying to eat them, but he has taken to eating the paint, instead of painting with it, not only a little bit hes full on eating as much as he can get hold of. I was wondering if it could be a sign that he's deficient in something, and what deficiency it could be, or maybe Im just being paranoid,
what do you all think?
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic has been moved

glaive
Participator
Participator

Re: Child eating paint

Post by glaive » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:56 am

Iron, vit d or calcium maybe? Really not sure, it could just be him though too.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:19 pm

There is a disorder called Pica which basically means someone eating something other than food items such as dirt, clay, paint, foam, etc. This often happens in children between the ages of 18 months - 24 months when they begin exploring however you mentioned the child is 3 years old and continuously eats paint...

Have you mentioned this to the parents? Does he eat other non-food items?

It is a cause for concern when this happens because it may lead to some type of poisoning etc.

:geek:,
L.A

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi L.A, he eats playdough, but thats pretty average, and he puts other things in his mouth but he eats the paint like its a roast dinner. Its non toxic child friendly paint, can that still cause poisoning?
Im only a relief worker so at the moment im not at that center very often (I was there for 3 months last year and mostly in the room with this specific little boy, but the paint eating only started this year).
I think his mother might be pregnant. If she is, do you think it could be a psychological thing? he is currently the youngest of 7 children, and loves being the baby of the family. I just thought of that last point.

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:57 pm

I dont think non toxic paint will harm the child yet if large amounts are consumed it can probably cause digestive problems. The days that this boy is at the centre he should be given an alternative art activity to do which doesn't involve paint or use a little food colouring mixed with water, if he eats that it's not harmful. The youngest of 7! That's a big family!