Pay rate working toward ECT

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
roselaryn

Pay rate working toward ECT

Post by roselaryn » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm

I've completed over 50% of the Early Childhood Education Bachelor degree and I don't have any prior cert/diploma. I'm working in a room as an Assistant Educator and am being classed as an Unqualified Assistant Educator. Does that sound right? I was being paid the lowest award level the first two months of my employment before it was raised, but I'd really like to know if it was raised to the correct level for my role. Thanks in advance!

Lorina

Re: Pay rate working toward ECT

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:59 pm

Hi,

Since you have completed over 50% of your qualification, you should be counted towards a Diploma Qualified Educator. According to ACECQA:

Diploma level

You can be counted towards meeting the diploma level qualification requirements if you can satisfy all of the above and one of the following:

hold an approved certificate III level qualification OR
have completed the approved certificate III units* OR
have completed 30% of the units in an approved ECT qualification.

For your reference: Actively Working Towards A Qualification

I would recommend you once again bring this up with your Director to get the correct level of pay.

:geek:,
Lorina

nene.tangen

Post by nene.tangen » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:01 am

Hi Lorina,

I work in nsw, hired as a diploma lead educator. Once I am in my 4th year of ect studies I can get conditional accreditation as an ect, would this mean my work needs to pay me as an ect? Even if they don't need another ect?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:50 am

No, from what I understand you are only paid as an ECT if you are the ECT of the service. You will not get an ECT rate unless that is your job role.

:geek:,
Lorina

Sadie

Post by Sadie » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:06 pm

Hi! I am pursuing Bachelor in Early Childhood Education and have 120 credit points. I earn $27.27 per hour and I’ve been working in the educational service for almost 4 years. I am wondering if I what I earn is the proper rate as an assistant educator or if I should ask my manager to review my modules?
Thank you.