Minimum Wage Before Tax?

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Minimum Wage Before Tax?

Post by Macoola » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:19 am

Hi I am a bit confused with my first payslip from my new job.

I am a casual diploma level 3 so my minimum wage should be $28.33 an hour. Which it is, as it states on my payslip anyway. But then I have been so heavily taxed that my wage is equivalent to $22 an hour. Every job I have had before this has never happened. I have had an identical job to this before, being a casual for a LDC and still got paid minimum wage AFTER tax. My last job I was paid $24 an hour. If I worked for 4 hours I got paid $96. And the same with every other job I have had. So is the $28.33 my minimum wage only before tax? Why have I been taxed so heavily? And if so why have I never experienced this with any other employer?

Sorry to go on it's just I loved my last job but had to leave because I couldn't survive on the hours/pay. To find out now that as a casual I may be payed less than previously is very frustrating.

Any responses or help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Macoola

Lorina

Re: Minimum Wage Before Tax?

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:39 am

The minimum wage it states in the Award is before tax. I think you are getting heavily taxed because you are earning more per hour as a casual worker. A new withholding "tax" was introduced from July 01 so maybe that's why you are being affected. On the Aus tax website it states that if you're earning more than $1,540/per day the amount to be held is $639 plus 49 cents for every dollar over $1,540/.

Here is a table which you can use to help figure out our pay as well:

Tax Table For Casual Workers

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
Lorina

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks for your reply Lorina. I didn't realise how high I would be taxed now. I have been taxed higher than that Tax table states but that may include my super as well. The table was very helpful thanks.

Macoola

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:53 am

Have you given them your Tax File Number? Because if you haven't or it's not on record you'll also be taxed more...

:geek:,
Lorina

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:57 am

That is a good point Lorina.

I have given it to them but they have been a bit slack with processing things as they only just put my WWCC into the system yesterday. I will check on that.

Thanks

Macoola