How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Bex40

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by Bex40 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:06 am

Hi everyone
Have you all heard about the Union for childcare workers? it is called United Voice (formally LMHU). the union is currently in the process to advocate for childcare educators to have a dramatic wage increase from what we currently earn at present. The union needs every childcare educators help the campaign is called Big Steps!!! If we want higher wages we must be present and accounted for for the Government to hear our voices that we are not being paid what we deserve. There is a website www.bigsteps.org.au or become a friend on facebook for the latest information - Big Steps in Queensland (Qld page) or Big Steps In Childcare (National Page)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Re: How much do you get paid in Childcare? Open Discussion on Childcare Wages....

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi Bex,

I had look at the link and its good to know about the efforts taken for childcare educators to receive a dramatic wage increase. I think I recently heard something like this on the news as well. Its great to see this campaign and we all hope something is done to support childcare workers.

"If we want higher wages we must be present and accounted for for the Government to hear our voices that we are not being paid what we deserve. "

I am curious, what is your take on this? How much do you think childcare professionals deserve compared to what we currently earn? I am sure all childcare professionals hopes for the best from this campaign.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:52 pm

I think we are entitled to at least the same salary as school teachers, I mean why not? We work as hard, our roles are as important (if not more)
I also think if we are paid more we would get more people interested in entering the industry

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:35 pm

Currently I get paid 12.40 an hour because im under 21 years old. I left a job that paid me $22 per hour on a weekday and more on saturdays and even more on sundays because I love what I do. Im just wondering how long I can survive on pure passion rather than a decent wage. I completed my cert III yesterday so apparantly my hourly wage will increase but i have no idea by how much. Childcare wages are so confusing, plus I dont see how at 18 years old I am considered an adult, can be prosecuted as an adult and am expected to act as an adult yet cant be paid as one. Just thought id share :)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:21 pm

that does not sound right to me I had an 18 yr old with a cert III and she got about $19/hr

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:25 pm

no that is my wage currently before cert III as i only finnished it on friday but havent recieved my certificate yet.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:59 pm

ok. even then it seems pretty low !

shmollie_hollie
Participator
Participator

Post by shmollie_hollie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah its really hard to survive on that :/ its not right at all, should atleast get minimum wage, they get paid more at macdonalds haha! I hope your all members of big steps in childcare! :)

Bex40

Post by Bex40 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:12 pm

I have always believed that the early child education industry has always been underpaid. I would like to see us being paid in line with other professions with similar qualifications (even male orientated industries) to anyone who has not taken a look at the website we are asking to come into line with other professionals with similiar qualifications (we are asking for up to $10 per hour on top of what we are currently recieving) if you would like to know more info contact United Voice office and they will be more than happy to speak with you. Let everyone you know who works within the industry that this is taking shape and if you would like to stay in a profession that you love doing (as we all know that is why we are here) get on board cause as I said earlier we need everyone to be counted so the government will hear what we are asking for and so the more voices speaking about this the louder our voices will be.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi Bex,

It's great to see us all supporting and standing up for one another!

Thanks for providing the link and I will definitely check it out and get on board! :thumbup:

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

sue073

Post by sue073 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:28 pm

omg im cert 3 qual and study diploma and part time perm i get $20.35 p/hour wow i think im getting ripped off now after reading everyone else... im in ipswich area qld

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi Sue,

I think your hourly wage sounds about right. I mean you work perm part time and your currently studying your diploma. That's how much some people who have completed their diploma are getting. Maybe you can negotiate for paid lunch breaks? How long you got left of your Diploma? Your hourly rate will possibly change once you finished your studies but then again I'm not too sure...

L.A

angielee206

Post by angielee206 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Hi,

Personally, I think that the wage working in Childcare is dismal compared to the qualifications and pay rate. I was actually earning more working as a Checkout Chick (with no qualifications), then I get in Childcare.

Anyway, I work in a centre on Brisbane's Northside, QLD and I found it pretty difficult to find the information on the new pay rates at first, but did eventually find it.
Basically the rates (for QLD employees) on the new award wage are as follows:

Cert III: (Level 3 on the new rating scale).
On commencement: $18.06 hour
After 1 year: $18.68 hour
After 2 years: $19.27 hour.

Diploma: (Level 4 on the new rating scale).
On commencement: $21.27 hour.
After 1 year: $21.59 hour.
After 2 years: $21.92 hour.

If you want to find more information on the new hourly rates for Cert III, Diploma and Advanced Diploma etc. go to this webside:
http://www.fwa.gov.au/documents/modern_ ... 000120.pdf
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Angie

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49 am

I am a trainee and get $940 a fortnight . I do exactly what the others do , programming , I even teach German twice a week and will be doing the fitness for them .

I am 27 so this is kind of crap . $13 an hour for a 27 year old pretty horrible , I earned a lot more selling clothes ! the Government needs to get it's act together and pay us more .

I love my job but need to live as well , and a few times I have wondered if I should do office work instead .

I think a trainee should get at least $17 p/h , a Certificate III $ 25 p/h a Diploma $35 and a ECT $45

Yeah some might think that is a lot , but we are responsible for peoples lives , we have to do first aid , are mandatory reporters , we prepare these kids for school .

I believe as women we are too afraid and polite to ask for a better pay .

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Ally,

Thanks for your comments! I also think that it's pretty unfair that you are only getting $13 an hour. Especially if you are doing extras such as fitness or teaching german ontop of everything else. Yeah, the pay rates in childcare aren't that great and I think that's why most childcare proefessionals end up doing something else… Oh yes being women and being polite doen't mean that others should take advantage of us :giggle: I really wish that things would change for the better!!

L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:41 pm

I agree with angielee206 I have been a check out chick for a while and I just completed my certficate 3 all the jobs I have been looking around at are the same or worse pay from what I am earning now it is so unfair!!

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:23 am

It seems that 22 is the going rate for most places as I am on just over 22. I get another from just over 22 to just under 22.
So there no set rate?? I get so confused with the rate I should get b/c sometimes I take on both roles :/

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:26 am

Florry - there are set rates but some centres choose to pay more ... some don't but if you go to google and type in childcare award wage qld you will see some PDFs that show the award wage.
If you take on more than one role there are rules I think eg if you are employed as an assistant but take over as GL you need to have taken over for min X hours to be paid the GLs rate.

justathought
Participator
Participator

Post by justathought » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:15 am

The pay is pretty unfair for the duties that are carried out, I was room leading for about 3 years before getting my diploma, the centre asked for an exemption for me but it was denied by the department. I kept room leading anyway because there was no one else apparently.
I see you guys talking about being GL's and being paid $22 hour, I took on the responsibility and unfortunatly was only being paid for my years experience. My assistant was paid more than me because she had been in the job longer and would refuse to take on any responsibility. And to add to it I was the only staff member there with children and some how I have less experience, and thats not just 1 child I have 4 ageing from 5 years to 21 years.
I do agree to a pay rise in some instances for example if you take on the responsibility you get paid for the responsibilty. And thinking about it I might do some research on profits from child care centres because they seem to be taking on alot of trainees at about $10 an hour sometimes even less the younger they are. I'll defenatly put my hand up to trainees being paid more because they do just as much as anyone else, sometimes from what Ive seen even more

MADIHA

Post by MADIHA » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:57 am

Hi everyone,

I am surprised to everyone's info.

For dips minimum to start with is 22$ per hour only if they don't have the required training and they are fresh. But personally i dont even know any dip who is working on 22$, minimum 24-25$ or more... andi know they get paid upto 30$ per hour. As per my experience, i think agencies pay more if you go through them because they have to put their rates above award rate, for their reputation and for win win situation!

Regards,
Madi