Higher duties pay rates

Discussions on Childcare Wages. Are you getting paid the right amount? Just started a new position and not sure of your wages? Ask here and you'll find your answers.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Hail

Higher duties pay rates

Post by Hail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:05 pm

I have been a qualified cert 3 for over 9 years during these years I have stepped up to lead educator several times and was never payed a cent of higher duties ( at least 3-4 years on and off as lead educator over a 9 year period) I have now been offered another lead educator roll which I have declined but i am "filling in" while they "look" for a new lead educator. I have spoken up and requested higher duties only to be told that because I am on level 3.3 that this is the pay rate of of an unqualified lead educator so I will not receive a pay increase. Does this seem correct? I believe I should be rewarded for stepping up and helping out but I am not and so I feel that I am being used. Any information on this would be appreciated

Lorina

Re: Higher duties pay rates

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:34 pm

Regarding higher duties pay, in the Children's Services Award it states the following:

Higher Duties

There may be times, when you may be asked to perform higher duties. This basically means performing duties that are not within your job description or those stated within the level you fall under in the classification structure, the duties of an employee will be determined by reference to this award and the employee’s job description.

If you’re engaged in higher duties for two or more consecutive hours you will be paid the time you spent at a higher rate, provided that:

the greater part of the time so worked is spent in performing duties carrying the higher rate;
if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 5 (Assistant Director) who is required to undertake the duties of a Director by reason of the Director’s absence will not be entitled to payment under this clause unless the Director’s absence exceeds two complete consecutive working days;
if you’re engaged as a Children’s Services Employee Level 3 who is required to undertake duties of the Director by reason of the Director’s non-attendance outside of core hours will not be entitled to payment under this clause;
where you are appointed to act as the Director of a Centre or a Supervising Officer pursuant to the relevant childcare regulations, they will be paid for the entire period at the rate applicable for a Director or Supervising Officer; or
if you are required to undertake the duties of another employee by reason of the latter employee’s absence for the purpose of attending (with pay) an approved training course (including in-service training) will not be entitled to payment under this clause.

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Let me know if you need any further clarification...

Lorina

Hail

Post by Hail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:32 pm

That information isn't very clear to me. So basically I'm a 9 year qualified cert 3 assistant my pay rate is 21.99. I have been performing higher duties as an unqualified lead educator for several consecutive months. And now I have been told that the higher duties unqualified lead educator pay rate is 21.99 so my pay rate will not increase. Do you know this to be true?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:40 pm

Ok, so as a cert 3 qualified educator you should be on Level 3.3 which is $21.99 per hour which you are currently receiving so that's fine... As an unqualified lead educator, you will be on Level 4A - which is also $21.99 per hour. However, if you have been an unqualified lead educator for more than a year you move up to Level 4A.2 which is $22.30 per hour. From the information, you have given it seems like you are being paid correctly as per the Children's Services Award 2010.

Ref: ChildcareWages In Australia

Also just want to inform you that since you are being paid minimum wage in the Award as of 01 July 2017, you will receive a 3.3% pay increase...

Ref: Wage Increase For Educators On Minimum Award

Hope this helps!

Lorina

Hail

Post by Hail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Just one more question so although I have already done over 3 years of lead edu previously.I will not be put in 4A.2 in this circumstance is that right?

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:19 pm

If you have completed 3 years of service experience as an Unqualified Lead Educator, then yes I think you should be up to Level 4A.2...

Lorina

Hail

Post by Hail » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 pm

Thanks lorina I appreciate your help. I will discuss this with my CM

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes, it's best to have a chat with your CM about it. Since you have had previous experi nice as a room leader you should be on a higher pay rate....

Lorina