Would you tell a parent you witnessed their child's first steps at day care?

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
jeremyhendo

Would you tell a parent you witnessed their child's first steps at day care?

Post by jeremyhendo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:04 pm

As the description says.. Just want general yes no comments. Personally I never would tell a parent..

law92
Helper
Helper

Re: Would you tell a parent you witnessed their child's first steps at day care?

Post by law92 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Yeah I totally would. Parents love to know these things about their kids and they love to be kept in the loop about what their kids do at day care it really makes their day. Why wouldn't you tell a parent that?

jeremyhendo

Re: Would you tell a parent you witnessed their child's first steps at day care?

Post by jeremyhendo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:49 am

I think parents feel somewhat guilty enough leaving their children with others all day long especially at such a young age. I just think that if I were a parent with a young one if I heard that news I would feel even worse. I just think about the future when the child asks the parent where they were when they took their first steps. I can't imagine saying 'well you were at childcare'. So I would personally hold off telling them and just phrase it differently. Something along the lines of 'they are so close to walking. They have been standing up all day and not needing us to hold into them'.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:11 pm

When parents leave their child in care I think they understand the sacrifices that comes with it. As an educator if I witnessed a baby's first steps I would record the moment to show to parents. We shouldn't hide these achievements just to stop parents from feeling bad... It's a developmental milestone that has been acheived and it's our duty of care to let parents know. I think it would be worse hiding this from the parent rather than building relationships and trust by letting the parent know.

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 pm

I always thought / felt that as an educator, I should always share important milestones I have witnessed in the course of my day with parents- assuming they would be glad to hear of these achievements. However, since my time at my current workplace, I have had a lot of chats with colleagues who work in the nursery. It seems they feel the milestone of a baby's first steps is a very sensitive issue, and as such they frame the information very carefully. They tend to ' soften ' the amount of information shared, and wait until the parents start to share that their little darling is starting to walk at home! I look forward to hearing what others think.

Kaz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Kaz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:45 pm

Personally I would not tell the parent, Many do feel guilty for having to have the child/ren in care for long periods of time. I'd wait for them to tell me that it has happened at home, I mean just think back if you have kids if you missed out on 'thinking' you were the first to see your childs first steps or first word? Being a mother and educator I know I have missed out on seeing my children's first but I have seen many childrens first too. You are the only one that can answer this.

leannef

Post by leannef » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:07 am

I would tell the parent they are really close, being a parent I would be so upset if someone else got that moment with my child.
A friend has her little ones in daycare and with both children they did not tell her the child was walking as they like the parents to come in and tell them. As parents feel bad enough leaving their children there all day but have no choice really as they won't have enough income.

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Post by megs_95 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:03 pm

I wouldn't, no. I'd probably tell the parent that the child seemed to be ready to walk, maybe begun putting their weight on one leg when holding something, for example.

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:06 pm

Gotta agree with megs and leannef. I'd say they'd seemed to be close, but I wouldn't say they'd taken their first steps.

Ness-C

Post by Ness-C » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 pm

I agree that's even though it's a fantastic achievement, the parents should be first to see and celebrate their child's first steps. I would say that he child is getting SO close, but I don't want to take that moment away from the parent, especially up when it is not their fault they have to work.

mariatk1

Post by mariatk1 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:28 am

Yes as this is a major developmental milestone. You would need to record that as an observation.