terrible environment

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
babayaga

terrible environment

Post by babayaga » Wed May 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I am finishing off cert III and also recently begun working as assistant in local childcare centre. The place is so drab, shabby and the staff seem to lack creative energy. I have been upset hearing several staff members shouting at the preschoolers and belittling them. There is a general chaos in the room with no consideration for engaging play environments and most of the day is spent breaking up fights. The tension is terrible. For example during rest time the children have to lie on a hard carpeted floor (no mats) , some share a pillow, they wriggle uncomfortably and they get shouted out: "Lie still, RELAX!" It's a bit insane really.
How can I as a newcomer begin to improve the situation? I am trying to make small changes and devise games where the childen can become imaginative and interactive again. I love to sing. How can I avoid a conflict with my colleagues as I contradict their methods? How can I enthuse the staff? I have years of experience in others places but this is by far the dreariest place and I feel so sad for the children.
( I am almost hoping that the staff read this and wake up!)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: terrible environment

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 pm

There is a general chaos in the room with no consideration for engaging play environments and most of the day is spent breaking up fights
Shame, unfortunately until the environment is stimulating and exciting the fights will keep on happening, nothing fuels naughtiness more than boredom!

Again shame that places like this exist and are allowed to continue keeping their doors open.

As a newcomer I would ask whoever was in charge if you did something with the children for 1/2hr and do whatever you have planned and hopefully they will see if the children are engaged and included that they are easier to manage + they are happy.

Good Luck, let us know how you go, lazy staff sometimes need to be shamed into action and sometimes it takes someone new and motivated to do this....hopefully you are this person :thumbup:

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Wed May 30, 2012 7:54 pm

thank you for your support and encouragement. I will try to introduce a few of my own sessions and see what happens. Several people I know have worked there and lasted only briefly because of similar problems.
I'm not a quitter so I'll keep you posted!

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:53 pm

Any of my suggestions or offers of presenting simple engaging activities have been blocked so far. not even considered! Don't know how much longer I can last in this awful grey and neurotic place. The only reason I return each time is because the children rush up to me, hug me, love me and ask me to come back please.
I am crying in despair tonight.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:02 pm

Have you spoken to the Director about what you want to do? Maybe you can put your ideas to her and ask her to speak to staff to let you implement a few things in the rooms.
Apart from that all I can say is give it a few more weeks, keep trying and if nothing works then I would be looking for employment elsewhere.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:13 pm

Thank you for your supportive advice. The director is responsible for several centres, is based elsewhere and is currently away for a while. I don't think the director is at all aware of the enormity of problems at my centre. I am also observing a lot of bitchyness amongst the staff.
I would like to get a giant fan and blow them all out the door, clean up the place, bring in fresh paint and fresh flowers, start singing and dancing with the children and employ truly excellent dedicated kind staff.
If I sidestep my centre's supervisor and staff, I will become a target for their bitchyness for sure. If the centre were inspected tomorrow it would fail.
I feel those children really need me, some of them are homeless and I care for their well-being deeply. Just can't stand the atmosphere of the place.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:30 pm

There must be someone on site who is responsible for the running of the centre...speak to whoever is in charge. If not ask to speak to the Director, contact her, phone her, whatever it takes.
Perhaps the fact that she is not onsite most of the time is why the centre and staff are not running up to standard.
Personally it sounds worrying to me and I would not feel bad going over everyones head and making them aware of what is happening and going wrong. Call DOCS....seriously...you can be an "anonymous" caller, or be honest in who you are and voice your concerns.
Too many centres get away with behaviour like this and they shouldn't. A colleague of mine called DOCS on a centre we worked at and they were actually very responsive and happy to get told what she told them!

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:38 pm

thank you Fefe - glad to know that someone cares...

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:31 am

I am so sorry you are placed in this position. Am pleased to see that these poor children have someone in their world interested in them.

The fact that the Director runs several centres means there must be a 'central' office for administration and budgetting. Call them ask to speak to the Executive in charge. Write emails and do everything humanly possible. This Centre is a disaster waiting to happen.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 am

hi- sending hugs your way!
I have posted a similar situation i recently went through in another thread. I completely agree with all the good advice others have given you- especially fefe's advice that you need to report this Centre to the Dept Education. Unless we alert the relevant departments, nothing can/will be done to shake up these second rate service providers.We are the professionals they are relying on to help get the NQF delivered and to shine light on these drab and nasty centres.
Kudos to you for hanging in there- the children must be so relieved to have such a caring and positive presence. But you do need to think of your own health/feelings.
You can call 1800 619 113 for advice on how to go about reporting your concerns ( sourced from the new DEET website portal for Early Childhood Education)
Incidentally- is everyone aware of the changes to mandatory reporting and how the dpt Community Services has/is changing?
information can be found at http://www.keepthemsafe.nsw.gov.au/
to view the online Mandatory Reporters Guide.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:25 am

THANK YOU all for your support - I will spend this time nourishing myself both emotionally and physically, recharging my energy and considering ways to bring healthier practices to this centre.
If (and it's a big IF) I can find ways to calm and settle the children, get them to stop trashing everything, then I can start to weave in some very small scale changes, (despite the staff resisting). Time will help me decide if there are any chances of turning this place around or if It should be dramatically restructured. If the centre's formal grievance procedures fail to work effectively, then I will certainly go on to report the problems at a higher level.
I feel those children need me.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:06 am

I would like to update my situation -it is obvious to me now just how financially strained this centre is and how depleted and very low on resources and staff enthusiasm - everybody looks and acts tired (except the children). I come in new and fresh, bursting with ideas and enthusiasm and of course it won't work. So how can I fit in?
With hugs and new bright songs and storytelling and more hugs and laughter and imaginative new games - slowly the environment begins to shift and the atmosphere during my last session was simply wonderful - even the other staff commented on how good the day was. Fingers crossed there will be more days ahead like that...

The big picture however is that funds are tighter than ever and some new strategies need to established higher up that will allow this grey and dreary place to re-invent itself.

LindyT
Coach
Coach

Post by LindyT » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

:clap: Bravo to you for bringing this centre a new perspective!! :clap:
The children and the cents itself are very lucky to have you!!

hussy

Post by hussy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:35 pm

Dear Baba you can change your enviroment by trying some changes there. All the persons are not so lucky to have prepared all things. Mostly we are chalenged by our surrodigs. so we should try to change not to blame.

babayaga

Post by babayaga » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:26 am

Thank you Hussy for your comments - I left that deteriorating centre a while ago - after trying to gently and sensitively help improve the culture I realised that I was becoming emotionally and physically depleted. I now work in a place where my team have a strong collaborative culture, a sense of humour and respect for each other and above all strive to meet the needs of all our children.
Some places should not be operating at all and one needs to know when it is time to go.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:10 pm

Good on you trying to make it work and realising when it just was not working out for you.
Sometimes we forget to look after ourselves and we have to do that in order to look after the children.
Good luck on the new position and I hope you find it a rewarding experience being in such a centre

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:54 pm

Good on you for trying and I'm very glad you knew when it was time to walk away. I know how hard it is to walk away from a centre that isn't as it should be. You wish you could take the kids with you.

*hugs* Just keep reminding yourself you did everything you could.

Julie Lipp

Post by Julie Lipp » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:34 am

I agree with dulcie an and urge unhappy staff to report theses issues. I own a centre and if my staff felt the way you do I would expect them to come to me. Te issues you outline all stem from management of the centre and expectations. I can't believe these centre are getting away with the stuff they do, and it makes me angry to see young enthusiastic educators go from one centre to another, before finally leaving the industry in disgust. Unfortunately it is the people who are only in it for a job who are happy to follow blindly. The bitterness soon sets in and you get the apathy and bithciness described. I recently talked to my regulatory officer about this "new under roof guildline" What a joke that is. She told me that unless they are notified by staff or families they cannot investigate. Meanwhile the new framework and regs that have made my life that little bit harder, are being blatantly ignored by others in the industry. To all you hardworking, enlightened and caring educators that place posts on these forums, I wish I could hire you all.