Tattoos in the workplace

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
renee_alisha

Tattoos in the workplace

Post by renee_alisha » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 am

:wave: hey guys,
hope I've posted this in the right section...
anyway, just wondering if there are any other heavily tattooed educators out there and how do you cover them all up??
I live in QLD where its pretty hot most of the year and I have alot of tattoos that I have to cover up.. just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how to cover a full sleeve? cardigans are just so hot :oops:

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Tattoos in the workplace

Post by dulciean » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Hi Renee_alisha. What an interesting question! May I ask if your Director/ employer has told you you have to cover the tattoos? It just seems a bit strange in today's age... And maybe discriminatory? Here in Sydney I have met many educators with tattoos and/or piercings. It doesn't seem to be a big issue- after all tattoos are commonplace these days. I have a couple in places that don't show at work, but am planning on a largish design on my inner forearm in the near future. How do you manage to cover them, especially in the Queensland heat? Looking forward to other responses. :)

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm

I have seen some educators with tattoo as well but haven't seen one who is heavily tattooed. If you got heaps of tattoo, then I think it's normal to be asked to cover it. I dont think its discriminatory but it really depends on the centre or the director and there may be some centres who don't mind. What does your director say about what to wear? Do you have an uniform? If yes, then can they give you a long sleeve top?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:37 pm

I have worked with some staff who have tattoos.
Generally I would say if they are small and unobtrusive then it is ok however a full arm or leg may require to be covered depending on what kind of service you are at. A more relaxed service may be ok with it however other places may want them covered.

renee_alisha

Post by renee_alisha » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:11 pm

I work at a Goodstart... I think it all comes down to the director really...

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:54 pm

If you have an employees handbook, it should also state what the company's views are on staff displaying tattoos. I use to work for ABC and they had a strict policy (mentioned in the employee handbook) that tattoos had to be covered etc... Then again, you're right it does come down to the director and their leniency in the end...

:geek:,
L.A