room distribution

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Iris2
Participator
Participator

room distribution

Post by Iris2 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:55 pm

So I have posted a few posts here which were more or less rants...

But today I have a real question, no really a rant...

There is one children who bites, scratches and pinches, literally every time someone even takes their attention away for less than a minute, he will hurt another child. I notice from his behaviour pattern, he does it for attention, and I try to give him as much positive attention as possible when I am in his room (I am a float) but there's only so much we can do when we have to distribute our energy to all the children and tasks. He was moved from another room (younger age group) for this reason because so many parents were complaining about their child getting bitten. But they moved him to a room (ROOM 1) which is older, yes, but also a much larger group of children and the room isn't even big. I think they are overloading the room capacity because this room looks like it should have only around 10 children max (ratio 1:5) but they have around 15 and sometimes more children there. Yes, they have enough staff but the room just looks too small for that. Then also there is another new child in that room with some extreme challenging behaviours and also requires constant attention. whenever an incident happens, the management and even leaders blame supervision as if we are expecting to stop every bite and incident but as I said it is near impossible with all the tasks and trying to divide attention between around 15 children. We literally would need one staff each giving constant attention to those two children, which is what the staff often need to do, but that is still almost impossible with everything we need to do. Then, the room (ROOM 2) next to it, equal size, often has around 6-7 children, and they don't have any serious challenging behaviours. So to me, they should distribute the children to have approximately equal size or at least if there's two staff in room two, they should have at least 10 children and try to move one of the challenging behaviour children to ROOM 2 so it is a little easier and safer for other children.

Does anyone else think this is weird or has anyone else experienced this? Do you know why they did it like this? What would you do in this situation?

Lorina

Re: room distribution

Post by Lorina » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:50 pm

How are you going with this issue?

Has this been resolved or you still facing this problem?

:geek:,
Lorina

davidoyama

Re: room distribution

Post by davidoyama » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi, Iris2 This is a serious concern, I think you will call the child's parents and ask them to solve the problem. Why do you make fair in other children, I think because of this child the rest of the children go through a scary phase.