Pregnant and working in childcare

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Amellia

Pregnant and working in childcare

Post by Amellia » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi,
I’m currently 24weeks pregnant and I would really need some advice regarding changing nappies and pregnancy. To be honest this is more just of a rant as well haha. I have read some information surrounding CMV and am particularly concern about how it would affect my unborn baby if I were to contract it.
I’m currently employed in a service that hasn’t been very supportive in providing me safe work. I have actually told them I can’t do nappies risking to contract CMV and they wanted me to get a certificate of capability listing the things I can or can’t do. However, I have been to two different doctors and they have said that they are unable to produce a certificate on the things I can or can’t do (like a list for example, not able to lift heavy things or do nappies etc) , only a certificate confirming my pregnancy. The director said that if I do not get the certificate I would have to do the duties as set out in my contract because I’m not fulfilling all my duties as an educator by not doing nappies and that changing nappies is a preference that’s why the doctors doesn’t want to give me a certificate.
I just don’t know what to do anymore, even after requesting to be put in a older room they told me that they are unable to fit me anywhere due to me not being able to change nappies??On top of that, I float around whenever they need someone in that room which is always the nursery room and I’m slowly coming to a point in my pregnancy where it is hard for me to lift heavier babies.

Lorina

Re: Pregnant and working in childcare

Post by Lorina » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:39 pm

Hi Amelia,

First off, Congratulations! You must be so excited to be able to meet your little bub soon!

In regards to the CMV - CMV infections are very common among children in early childhood education and care settings. The virus is spread occupationally from person to person by contact with body substances, including urine and saliva. But even if an infected child does not has any symptoms, they can pass the virus to another person.

Since there is no vaccine for CMV, preventive practices are the only way to stay safe. Ideally, pregnant staff may be relocated to other settings or assigned to care for older children who can independently handle personal hygiene.

However, if that is not possible, some measures that can be put in place are:

using disposable gloves for nappy changing or other activities that involve contact with urine and saliva
instructing at-risk staff not to kiss children on the mouth and face
ensuring staff cover any open cuts with a water-resistant dressing
installing hand-washing facilities close to nappy changing areas so that they wash their hands every time they come in contact with urine or saliva
Use disposable hand wipes or alcohol-based hand rub in case handwashing facilities are not available
equipping classrooms with toys and surfaces that can be easily cleaned besides ensuring that commonly soiled items like nappy change mats, potties, feeding utensils and toys are regularly sanitised
implementing appropriate laundry procedures like placing soiled personal clothing and linen in a sealed bag to be sent home with the child for washing
advising pregnant staff to be in regular contact with their doctor or GP to check for susceptibility to issues like primary CMV infection.

So since your work is not being very cooperative with you, just make sure you follow the preventative measures above and that will minimise the risk greatly.

Your Director should be a little considerate towards you since you are pregnant... cut you a little break.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

:geek:,
Lorina