Parent Wanting Us To Give Child Unnecessary Medications

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Ness-C

Parent Wanting Us To Give Child Unnecessary Medications

Post by Ness-C » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone has ever experienced parents being over zealous with giving their child medications? In my centre's 0-2 room there is a child whose mother has asked us to give them antacids for reflux after every bottle. The child has 2 bottles while in care, and others while at home.

On top of this, the parent has now advised us that the child is taking a much more heavy duty medication (which can have some nasty side effects and should not be used for long period of time). This medication is already causing the child to have constipation.

I don't feel good about questioning the parent, and am not accusing them of anything but I also worry that these medications are unnecessary. I am keeping an eye on the child as well as a mental record of how many medications the child is on and will definitely speak up should the heavy duty medication continue for too long/any others be added. Is this something I need to discuss with a superior now just in case or should I perhaps keep a written record? I seem to be the only educator who is concerned by this.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Parent Wanting Us To Give Child Unnecessary Medications

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:46 am

I just had a look through the National Regulations and in regards to administering medication to a child it states (page 114 for your reference):
the medication must be administered—

(i) if the medication has been prescribed by a registered medical practitioner, from its original container, bearing the original label with the name of the child to whom the medication is to be administered, and before the expiry or use by date; or

from its original container, bearing the original label and instructions and before the expiry or use by date; and

the medication must be administered in accordance with any instructions—
(i) attached to the medication; or
(ii) any written or verbal instructions provided by a registered medical practitioner;

Also, the parent must fill out a medication form for any medication that you are administering to a child... IS she filling this out? Is the antacids prescribes by a doctor? If not, by law and regulations you shouldn't be given it to the child...

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 am

Ness-C wrote: I don't feel good about questioning the parent, and am not accusing them of anything but I also worry that these medications are unnecessary. I am keeping an eye on the child as well as a mental record of how many medications the child is on and will definitely speak up should the heavy duty medication continue for too long/any others be added. Is this something I need to discuss with a superior now just in case or should I perhaps keep a written record? I seem to be the only educator who is concerned by this.
In addiction to what L.A said, yes, keep a written record. Mental records are useless, because 1. people's memory is never as good as we think and 2. what's in your head can't be shown in a court case if it came to that. Always, always document.

Also, please, ask the parent for a doctor's note for the antacids. It doesn't feel right to me just reading that and, if nothing else, you need to cover yourself in regards to the regulations. If you're not comfortable speaking to the parents, then speak to your supervisor.

~Ann

EDIT: A bit of quick googling only adds to my unease. http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/ ... .php?id=56 I would really, really ask for a doctor's letter to ensure that everything's above board.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ness-C

Post by Ness-C » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:42 pm

Lorina wrote:
Also, the parent must fill out a medication form for any medication that you are administering to a child... IS she filling this out? Is the antacids prescribes by a doctor? If not, by law and regulations you shouldn't be given it to the child...
She is filling out the form, and they are prescribed. Otherwise I would definitely refuse to administer it. The new medication, however - prednisone - is not administered by us at the centre and so I cannot check the validity of it. Because it is such a strong medication to be giving to someone so young it raised a couple of red flags.
NorthLight36 wrote: In addiction to what L.A said, yes, keep a written record. Mental records are useless, because 1. people's memory is never as good as we think and 2. what's in your head can't be shown in a court case if it came to that. Always, always document.

Also, please, ask the parent for a doctor's note for the antacids. It doesn't feel right to me just reading that and, if nothing else, you need to cover yourself in regards to the regulations. If you're not comfortable speaking to the parents, then speak to your supervisor.

~Ann

EDIT: A bit of quick googling only adds to my unease. http://www.babycareadvice.com/babycare/ ... .php?id=56 I would really, really ask for a doctor's letter to ensure that everything's above board.
I will definitely start documenting more thoroughly, thanks.
Also I agree that the link you sent does make it sound pretty nasty.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Laiorwyn
Participator
Participator

Post by Laiorwyn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:16 pm

Another consideration - if the child is having reflux after EVERY bottle, then they're likely having an allergic reaction to the formula. Recommend to the parents that they try the child on another formula and see if it changes.
What is the other heavier medication? Lots of problems with infants can be solved by changing their environment or diet. No child under 2 should be on heavy medication, ESPECIALLY if they're causing complications/side effects, unless the thing they're stopping is far far worse. Even then I'd think twice, three times and probably go to a naturopath instead. Chemicals have long term effects on us and I hate to think what they're doing to that poor, developing child.
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:21 am

Ness-C,

Just wondering how things are going. Do you have an update on the situation you can share?

~Ann
Last edited by Lorina on Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:18 pm

lots of good comments…
To be on antacids and prednisone so young ? Prednisone is a steroid used in a variety of illness/disease. ( went to the NYU Dept of Paediatrics website)
I would get the family to give you a doctors letter on the condition and treatment. There are side effects and this should be included by the doctor. Are the parents being upfront with any condition or just "reflux"? Because it can suppress the immune system and needs to given exact dose and the time of dose.
Allergy was a good point -if there is no anatomical or other physiological reason.

Since this was posted a few months back, interested if you pursued anything??

Leenie

Ness-C

Post by Ness-C » Wed May 06, 2015 7:20 pm

Hi, thanks for all responses the child stopped medications not long after I posted this and has not been on them since - is still at the centre. I am glad that my thoughts about documentation were confirmed and will remember for any other future issues with this or other families.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed May 06, 2015 11:18 pm

Good to hear that it all sorted itself out!

Thanks for the update!

:geek:,
Lorina