men in childcare - my experience

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Lorina

Re: men in childcare - my experience

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:47 pm

NO NO definitely not! Please don't take it that way at all! I think that males should work in childcare it benefits the children and dynamics of educators so much. However, there are some families that just don't like it... I didn't mean to offend you at all not my intention at all!

:geek:,
Lorina

Glennyman

Post by Glennyman » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:50 pm

all good

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:54 pm

Glennyman wrote:Please can you remove the "newbie" label also, I am not new to anything guys and have been working with children since the 80`s off and on
Newbie is just a rank that you receive when registering on this site. Once you reach 20 posts your rank changes to participator.

More info: Forum Ranking System

:geek:,
Lorina

Mychael Lewis

Post by Mychael Lewis » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm amazed and saddened to read that other males have had less then great experiences in childcare. Being a male, yes, it's a rough road as we get looked at a bit differently. I had a parent ask a co-worker of me, "does he even have a Bluecard?" Ignorance is our largest issue. Not so much from others in childcare, but from parents. That being said, I've never been treated as anything less then welcomed by every parent of every child I've ever cared for! I normally get statements like, "I think there needs to be more men in childcare...", which often feels like they've noticed I'm male more than I've noticed I'm male.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:53 am

I've worked with some very dedicated males and who were much appreciated by the children and their parents/families.
I think it's more about educating families to understand that male or female we all are qualified and cleared to work with children.
Yes pay needs to be better and as usually being the main breadwinners for the families it is harder for males to stay in early childhood sectors unless they are teachers.

linsaa fdc
Coach
Coach

Post by linsaa fdc » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

My little grandson was in care with me in [FDC] for 4 years, but in the last quarter of last year he went to a centre to get used to being in a large group and not with family. My grandson had a wonderful male Educator that he adored and couldn't wait to go to "my little school" as he called it. We all thought the male Educator was fantastic as well. :thumbup: It really is a shame there isn't more in childcare, I think we are all missing out.