Help! I think I'm going to be fired!

Share your work experiences, have a rant, discuss concerns, get advice for work problems, discuss work issues, etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Help! I think I'm going to be fired!

Post by dulciean » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:09 pm

I didn't know where else to turn, looking for support from you guys here who understand the stresses and dramas of the industry.
On Wednesday afternoon @ work an incident occurred. It was around 4:30 and that hectic time with parents arriving, last minute pooey nappies being changed, staff finishing shifts, kids running around outside.
I had been assisting a child in the toilet, talking to a parent and looking for a hat. Another staff member ( authorized supervisor) was in infants room with several babies. And the other staff member was mooching around the sandpit, and talking with a parent.
The next minute one of the parents from my Room( toddlers) came out and said "there's a child standing outside at the front gate!" I went pale and gasped" where?! How did he get out?" Another parent then came to me and said the same thing. Of course I ran to the gate, found the weeping child wearing his backpack and standing at the gate. I scooped him up and comforted him and tried to work it out- he had been gone around 30 seconds. I brought him inside, told my colleague what happened, sat him down and promptly got distracted momentarily by another child needed something. 5 minutes later, I turned around and asked " where is R.?
The colleague replied- " oh he's gone home with dad"
Somehow I must have been over- stressed and shocked because it didn't enter my mind to report the occurrence to my certified supervisor.
Of course, the director then wasn't notified till the next morning, making her livid. I cannot BELIEVE my own stupidity at not following policy/ protocol. I KNOW BETTER!
Now it has been documented and reported and it looks like I will lose my job just in time for Christmas. I am aghast at myself, my focus was on the child being safe , not documentation or reporting processes, and I have breached my duty of care.
Want to roll up in a ball and just cry and cry!!!!!
I feel like death.

Lorina

Re: Help! I think I'm going to be fired!

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:40 pm

Dulciean,

First of all take a deep breath… I’m sure it’s going to be alright. There are times when incidents like this occur and unfortunately you were put into a very difficult situation.

Regarding the child who was outside the front gate, why wasn’t the front gate closed in the first place? Could a parent have accidently left open the gate in the mere rush of picking up their child? Is there a notice on the front gate reminding staff and parents that the gate needs to remain closed?

Another question I have to ask is if you informed your colleague about this incident, when the parent came to pick up the child, why your colleague didn’t inform you so you can speak to his dad about what had happened?

From what I read it seems like you were really flustered, with everything that was going on in the afternoon and that’s why you forgot to report the incident to your director. Fair enough, she has a right to be upset with happened but I believe that this incident wasn't completely your fault. There are so many factors to take into consideration regarding this incident such as why was the gate left open, where were the other staff, why didn’t the colleague tell you when the parent arrived, that I think it is entirely unfair if you get the blame.

Even though this incident has been documented and reported it is highly unlikely that you will be fired over this. The child who was outside was only there for a short period of time and he didn’t get injured or no harm was done to him. There are worse incidents that are more likely to get you fired.

I understand that you feel completely crappy right now but believe me you will get through this and learn from what has taken place. Everything is going to be fine!

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:22 am

Hi Dulciean, I am very sorry to hear about your incident. From reading your post I can understand how stressed out you are about this. Like L.A said, I won't say it's completely your fault but still when something like this happens usually the directors and the management may have a word about the incident. But I don't think they would fire you for this although they might give you a warning. Seeing that you already do admit your fault and not being defensive or arrogant about it might actually make them feel sorry for you. Unfortunately mistakes do happen since we are still humans. I just hope that everything goes well for you next week. If possible try not to get too stressed out about it. This goes to say how stressful this industry can be to educators! I wish you all the best! What's happened has happened. Don't beat yourself up too much over this honey.

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:19 pm

1. How did the child get out in the 1st place is what I would be asking.

2. Why is it your fault? Other staff are just as responsible for the children as you are regardless if it was a child from your room or not.
If I see a child wandering off or upset or hurt and he is not from my class I still sort it out

3. Sometimes we just cannot drop everything to report things and sometimes by the time you finish your shift you forget, its called being a human and I am sure they will understand.

4. I am sure everyone has had a child leave while they were busy doing something else .... as long as someone knows they left and who they left with and that they were allowed to leave with that person I cannot see any issue with this.

Just explain what happened and I am sure you will be ok, I doubt you will get fired.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:42 pm

UPDATE-
Well today the axe fell- I Have been fired from my cherished position. Actually, technically it's that they terminated my employment after the 6 month probationary period. The incident I outlined seemed to be the catalyst for the decision, but I feel there were greater things at play. My Director seemed never to like or understand me on a personal level, she just never ' got' me. The culture of the centre is unusual. I was the only Anglo person there, and she felt/ said over several meetings that this worked against me- in that I don't have common ground with other staff. I was deeply offended by this supposition. I am so devastated-it's the week before Christmas- and in my 25 year working life I have never ever been fired! I will try to find something positive from this experience I know I formed strong connections with the children and families.
I am now needing to reflect on whether I can continue in the Industry, I am deeply hurt and questioning if I am just not suited to this work anymore. :(

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 pm

I was the only Anglo person there, and she felt/ said over several meetings that this worked against me- in that I don't have common ground with other staff
Is that not discrimination to be fired because of not being of the “right” ethnic background is it??? :o surely it is. Seriously if I were given that impression or had been told and then fired I would take some kind of action.

So sorry about this, truly horrible a week before Xmas but childcare jobs are not hard to find ... I think you need to find a better centre... its obviously the centre and Director who have issues and not you...so please don’t lose hope.

Find a nice place and work there before you give up.

xxx

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm so sorry to read you've lost your job. Yes, you made a mistake, but no harm came of it and I know for a fact it could happen to anyone. I once lost a child I was baby-sitting and had to call the police. Turned out the child was safe and sound visiting her elderly neighbour, but for half an hour I was frantic with how I was going to tell her mother I'd lost her four year old. And even after she was found, I fully expected to lose my baby-sitting job.

I didn't, and you certainly shouldn't have lost yours. It sounds to me as though the centre was looking for a reason to fire you. Which means there are far better places you could be working.

Take a deep breath, have a long hot soak in the bath, and try to focus on something positive, even if it's simply that you get to sleep in for a little while.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 am

I was really shocked to hear you got fired just because of this incident.

Too me, it doesn't make sense why they should fire you... I agree with NorthLight that the centre was looking for a reason to fire you and unfortunately this incident was the tip of the iceberg.

I honestly don't believe that because you're Anglo that's one of the reasons which led to you being fired. Listen, the childcare industry is mostly dominated by women. Women who all have different personalities and characteristics and sometimes while working we just don't seem to blend in. No matter how hard you try, you'll always feel like an outsider and that's when the smallest issue can turn into chaos. I've seen it happen before, it's like you're entering a tight knit family... There are going to be misunderstandings and disagreements, I guess its just how they are handled that makes the difference!

What's done is done... it hurts your self esteem and you lose confidence for awhile but seriously if that's how people are going to be then there is no point working for them. Why work somewhere you're going to be miserable...

Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and go find someone bigger and better!!

:geek:,
L.A

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:04 am

Hi LA
thanks for that- I really needed some no nonsense advice ! Well I have done a little digging around for information and it seems we are all correct in presuming there were other things going on re my job loss.
* this company uses its 6 month probationary period in this manner often ie it effectively creates a 6 month contract
* in reality rather than being Fired I guess it's more a matter of my contract not being renewed after the 6 months
* the centre is FACS and government funded, meaning its budget is tied in to quarterly reviews
* they hired new staff in each Room to support children with additional needs ( making them over ratio)
In the Room I was in, these children were enrolled at other services thus affecting funding to the Centre
* there were 3 floaters hired and after a review it was decided there would only be 2
All these technicalities aside, Yes there was a classic personality clah/ incompatibility between myself and the Director, I felt ill at ease with her and it probably was not going to improve
I will dust myself off and look to the future when I am finished licking my wounded ego!
Last edited by dulciean on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:13 am

Fefe and NorthLight36 - Thankyou and hugs for your support and kind words and insight- I appreciate it very very much xxxxx
Means heaps at this time when I'm feeling very emotional

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:01 pm

Dulciean, I was very sad to read what had happened to you. However, if they are a company that sets up 6 month probationary periods simply to use people up and then get rid of them at the end of the term, then it is not a place you really want to work at.
It sounds very much like they were over committed elsewhere, and used this incident ans a convenient excuse to cut costs (ie your wages!)
It sounds very much to me from reading your posts that you are genuine in your work ethics and your passion for working with the littlies, so I am sure it will not take you long to get back in the saddle (so to speak!)
I hope you have a bit of a break over the holidays and manage to find a lovely place to work in the New Year.
All the best.
CAthiek

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:06 am

Hi CathieK- thank you for your kind words and support! Xx

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:59 pm

Sorry to hear what happened. Its the worst feeling when you get fired. I think they could have handled this a lot better than just sacking you. Did they at least give you like a 2 weeks notice or was your employment terminated instantly? If it is instant, it's really slack. But hey, what can you do? Take a break and start a new job for the new year. Wish you all the best.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey catchmeifucan
Thanks for that- yes it was effective immediately, but I get the 2 weeks pay in lieu of notice. I am still dusting myself off and trying to reconcile what happened. I certainly did not expect this treatment by such a reputable, not for profit group. Lesson learnt!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:09 pm

Some companies are just like that, you would think they would at least have done it after Xmas but anyway enjoy your Christmas don’t think about it and start the new year fresh and look for a new job. I am sure you will find something in no time at all

Misse84
Helper
Helper

Post by Misse84 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:37 pm

See it as a blessing in disguise.The director sounds like she needs a lesson in management.You can not simply say to someone that they do not fit in because of their ethnic background!

I am sorry you lost your job,hope you find a more professional job soon.

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:04 am

Hi - dropping in for a bit more advice. The Christmas break is over and I have had about 3 weeks to think things through. My question now is do you think I should include the 6 months work I did with this company on my résumé? I have never been ' let go ' from a job before, so don't know what to do really. I think it could reflect very badly on me for prospective employers? And I don't have an official reason, they said it wasn't because of the incident with the child getting to the gate, they cited an ' incompatibility ' with the position (???)
I noticed the centre has started advertising for a part- time assistant for 3 days per week, so it confirms at least some of the decision was fiscal.
I am trying to get back into my Diploma studies, but have made no real effort. I am going to re- do my Senior first aid( now called Apply first aid) and also the asthma and anaphylaxis training.
I don't know, just feel like the passion, that little light inside me , has gone out and I have lost so much faith in myself and the Industry as a whole.
: (

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:30 pm

Perhaps going back to studying and doing your diploma will re-light that fire in you. Being freshly trained might help relax any concerns a future employer might have by giving you the chance to say you've addressed the 'issues' you feel may have arrisen during your last job. (Rubbish, I know, since the issues weren't yours, but a bit of fluff never hurts).

I wouldn't hide it, since it leaves you with a gap in your employment history.
dulciean wrote:Hi - dropping in for a bit more advice. The Christmas break is over and I have had about 3 weeks to think things through. My question now is do you think I should include the 6 months work I did with this company on my résumé? I have never been ' let go ' from a job before, so don't know what to do really. I think it could reflect very badly on me for prospective employers? And I don't have an official reason, they said it wasn't because of the incident with the child getting to the gate, they cited an ' incompatibility ' with the position (???)
I noticed the centre has started advertising for a part- time assistant for 3 days per week, so it confirms at least some of the decision was fiscal.
I am trying to get back into my Diploma studies, but have made no real effort. I am going to re- do my Senior first aid( now called Apply first aid) and also the asthma and anaphylaxis training.
I don't know, just feel like the passion, that little light inside me , has gone out and I have lost so much faith in myself and the Industry as a whole.
: (

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:06 pm

I would put it in and if you are asked be honest and tell them what happened and the reason given to you for 'letting you go'

Anyone in their right mind will realise what happened to you was not your fault and totally ridiculous.

You could be vague about it but then you run the risk of them contacting the employer and asking what the issue was and why you left so probably best to just be up front about it and say if you do contact them for a reference I doubt they will give you an accurate idea of my abilities etc as an employee.

TBH not many places will actually call your references. I have references not from my immediate jobs done previously, however should they choose to they can look them up and contact them, I have only had 1 employer ever say they got a call about me and that was for a job within the same "company" so to speak. I have been offered many a job with no calls being made to my previous employers

khushivis

Post by khushivis » Tue May 28, 2013 4:17 pm

but why you think like that.