volunteer and relief teaching working hours

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
dname

volunteer and relief teaching working hours

Post by dname » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:51 am

Hi,

I have just started my course in Cert III in Early Childhood Education. I have a degree in business and looking for a career change.

I have a volunteer role this week , I was told that it is to see if I am fit to the organisation for a relief teaching.

What should I be expected from this role? Should I bring something on my first day?

How many hours do we get if you are working as a relief?

Lorina

Re: volunteer and relief teaching working hours

Post by Lorina » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:58 am

You are referring to casual work... Typically as a casual you cover shifts of the full time/part time educators that are either sick or on holidays or to cover lunch/programming time. You are required to do a minimum of 2 hours per day and your shift could be upto 8 hours... It really depends on the centres needs. You may require to bring your lunch as well as a hat (to wear outside) and a drink bottle. However, if you are going to do casual work the centre will ask you for all your tax file number, banking details etc. and you my also be asked to sign a contract...

It's a good opportunity for you while you complete your qualification!

:geek:,
Lorina

dname

Post by dname » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Thanks for the info lorina.

Is it easy to convert to part time or full time when we are on casual? Just hope I am not overqualified for the job haha

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:44 am

If you happen to be working at the same centre as a casual and a part time/full time position turns up they may ask you if you have a good rapport with them. At centres a few of the casuals have become full time staff. It's a win win because the casual already knows the staff, children and the routine and it's not necessary to have to get them "caught up" so to speak. It just depends on the centre and of course the position they are offering and if you're qualified.

Hope you enjoy working in childcare!

:geek:,
Lorina