Starting out in Childcare/ preschool

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
OlgaT

Starting out in Childcare/ preschool

Post by OlgaT » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:49 am

Hi,

I would like a word of advice and tap into your knowledge please :)

I'm looking at going back to working after having three children (10, 8 and 4) and looking to start a completely new career for myself.
I do hold a Bachelor degree in unrelated field, I can't decide how to proceed.
Our children are more independent now with the youngest starting Pre-school (3 days a week) so I can find some time to study. In saying this I will need to be available if they're sick, and for school drop off/ pick up as my husband often away for three weeks at the time and we don't have much support.
So I look at studying instead of the traineeship.
I see that I can do a Diploma of Early Childhood (2 years self-paced) or Master of Learning and Teaching (Early Years - up to 8 y.o, 18 months to 2 years to complete). My goal is working with special needs (ASD) children. As my son is on the spectrum I know how challenging it was find a suitable care with knowledgeable educators. Essentially I want to become a manager/ director of such place but I also want to know the ropes.
What qualification/s would you recommend? I will try to compare the subjects to see if any of the Master program covers Diploma subjects. Your thoughts will be highly appreciated.