Speakers of Languages other than English

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Speakers of Languages other than English

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:09 am

Not directing this at anyone in particular but am finding a number of people whose native language is not English on here and they seem to struggle with comprehesion of questions and answering them properly.

http://www.englishaustralia.com.au/

This is a link to finding English courses to suit your needs all over Australia.

Sometimes it is worth taking these courses ... it will put you in a much better position, realistically if you have the same qualification as someone and they speak, read and write perfect English and you do not likelyhood is they will be the preferred person to hire

I have taught English to speakers of other languages and in a short amount of time you can really improve your understanding of it so its really really worth it

Once again just thought it may help some people out there who may be silently struggling and trying to do assignments in a language that is unfamiliar and words that make no sense to them

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Speakers of Languages other than English

Post by dulciean » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:40 pm

I am so glad I am not the only one who has noticed this problem fefe! once again you prove to be insightful and perceptive!

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Speakers of Languages other than English

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:42 am

Thank you. I just feel some of the assignment questions are worded so they confuse us native English speakers so how must people whose 1st language is not English feel.
It must be so hard trying to study something when it does not make complete sense .... I would personally hate that.
Also I feel TAFEs and Private Instituitions need to be a tad stricter about taking students on. Their should be a short English test for ALL students, and if their English is not up to scratch well they have to take English classes and then come back or be refused study.
Universities do it because they know they cannot expect students to study at a teriary level in a unfamiliar language.
Sorry but if you are going to live, study & work in an English speaking country then its your responsibility to learn to speak, read & write decent English.... harse but thats my view & I myself am not Australian my parents are from Pakistan but I grew up in the UK ...my parents moved back to Pakistan when I was 10 & I had the opposite issue I needed to learn the language there as my Urdu was practically non existant but I had to live there so I struggled and learnt to speak, read & write the language, even though all schools & unis there teach in English.
Anyway I just want to help thats all