Should you get paid for First Aid, Fire Training, Child Protection Training?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tinkataylor
Participator
Participator

Should you get paid for First Aid, Fire Training, Child Protection Training?

Post by tinkataylor » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi,

First of all does it say in our award how much notice we should be given about events coming up like first aid, staff meetings, fire training etc?

Also do we pay?

We had the fire training but we were given only 6 days notice and I was unable to attend.
Aside from the fact that my director said she would cut my hours if I didn't go, she then apologised and said she will book a second fire training night for those unable to attend the first one, but we will have to pay! (The first one was paid for us)

Anyone know the award and what it says about this kind of training?

Thanks

Lorina

Re: Should you get paid for First Aid, Fire Training, Child Protection Training?

Post by Lorina » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:31 am

I've answered a similar question before:

First aid renewal - who is responsible for costs

I will go through my Resources as well as the Award and Regs and see if I find any further information for you...

I'll let you know,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Re: Should you get paid for First Aid, Fire Training, Child Protection Training?

Post by Lorina » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:30 pm

Just going through the Children's Services Award and found the following:
Where an employee is required by an employer to act as a first aid officer and they do not have current qualifications, the employer must pay the costs of any required training (page 17).

A First Aid Officer is responsible for monitoring and maintaining first aid facilities within their centre, administering first aid and assisting and supporting others in giving first aid.

Within a centre even though all educators are required to have first aid qualifications and to administer first aid there is an employee selected to e the First Aid officer. reading the quote above, if you are selected for this role it's the centres responsibilities to pay for your training. If you are not a first aid officer and need to complete training then you need to pay unless the centre offers free professional development courses for staff.

For example: last centre I worked at (chain centre) my first aid renewal training was free but at my previous centre before this I needed to pay for the course. I think it's really up to the centre. I can't find anything other than what I quoted above about this...

Sorry but it seems like you may have to pay,

:geek:,
L.A