Newbie with lots of questions

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
barbg

Newbie with lots of questions

Post by barbg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:02 pm

First off, thank you to the moderators for this wonderful site. I wished I had discovered it before I went for my interview!

A bit of background, I have a young family and need to still do school drop offs and pickups. I am recently cert 3 qualified.
I went and was successful in the interview process at a LDC which was willing to take me on during the hours of 9am to 3pm in a full time position (position advertised was casual). I've not worked for a very long time and was hesitant and asked the manager for some time to think it over. I've gone back to her that I would be keen and would she be ok with 4days a week. She was very cool and has not come back to me for either casual work or full time. I've contacted her twice and she says she will be in touch. Should just let it go and continue to call her every month?

I've sent in my cv to other centers in the meantime. Is it unrealistic of me to think I would get work between the hours of 9 to 3pm?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lorina

Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Post by Lorina » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Hi Barbg,

Welcome to Aussie childcare Network! :wave:

Can be a little confusing to work out whether or not you have a job since your new employer hasn't really contacted you as yet. It sounds like you will be working as a causal at this centre so that means you're basically on standby until one of the full time employees falls sick, takes time off etc. Usually when this happens you will be taking over the full time employees hours throughout the day. If you already spoken to the director about working in the hours of 9 to 3 and she has agreed then it shouldn't be a problem... However if I were you I'd get this in writing within your contract or work agreement. It may be alright now but later down the line... You would rather be prepared. Since you are most probably working casual I think it is if you contact other centres as well to work casually but since you made a commitment to this current centre they should get priority of your availability.

Well hopefully this help you out and I'm happy to hear you like this site! :thumbup:!

Happy to help if you need anymore questions answered,

:geek:,
L.A

BTW - Sorry bout my delayed response, little one has the flu...

barbg

Re: Newbie with lots of questions

Post by barbg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:31 pm

thanks lorina for getting back and for suggesting a work agreement or contract. while i filled out a lot of forms, i don't recall an employment contract.

hoping that your little person gets well very soon.

barbg