Newbie here wanted to say hi and introduce myself :-)

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
kelly1212

Newbie here wanted to say hi and introduce myself :-)

Post by kelly1212 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:57 am

Hi everyone my name is Kelly. I wanted to introduce myself as i think i will be on this wonderful forum (that i found quite by accident) often!
I'm currently in work (not in childcare) but will change that next year (hopefully)

A big move is coming. I'm going to be going for my cert III certificate in Early Childhood and see where this takes me. I love children, have 3 of my own (preteen and teenagers)

An area that really interests me is the kinder age children. Can anyone give me any advice on what qualifications i would need to be able to work in a Kinder?

I tried to get my cert III sorted this year via my local TAFE but the days they offered conflicted with my work and i feel i need a classroom environment rather than online study.

I'm 38 years old and nervous as anything about returning to study (I think i have low self esteem or maybe just a bad case of nerves but i am going to give it my best shot) I wanted to start at a cert III so i didn't overwhelm myself.

I have always worked in one job or another (however I took some years off to raise my children) but have never had anything that feels like me. (If you know what i mean) I'm currently in a high paid office type job (Yes, I know the high paid part is going to change lol) however, with the support of my lovely hubby am going to chase my dreams and study full time.

Im using this year to save, save, save! So I can pursue what i realy love and have a passion for.

Anyway now you all have half my life story that's me!

If anyone has any tips I would love to hear from you I'm scared stiff!

Hugs to all

Kel
-x-

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Re: Newbie here wanted to say hi and introduce myself :-)

Post by dulciean » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:35 pm

Hi Kel and welcome to the forum. I always love reading stories of people like you who will bring fresh passion and vigour to the Industry- good on you for chasing your dreams! I am 39 ( very soon to be 40) and am currently a Certificate III child care educator. I have been studying my Diploma in Childrens Sevices externally for about a year and am almost finished-so yes it is possible. The Industry is currently in a state of flux- qualifications are changing and quality services are insisting on higher qualifications. Do you wish to work as an assistant in a Kindergarten, or as a Leader? Certificate III is an entry level qual, though as I have been working for quite afew years I am expected to contribute to programming , documentation etc. I would do the Cert III then the Diploma as there are changes being rolled out over the next few years. Yes- unfortunately we are quite lowly paid- a real point of contention in the Industry. You can look at rates of pay under the Children's Services Award (2010) you might be shocked! But if its something you really want to do then go for it- I wouldn't do anything else and have also worked in the better paid corporate sector but found it far too stifling.
Feel free to ask any questions that spring to mind- it's a very supportive group here!
Dulciean : )

kelly1212

Post by kelly1212 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:17 am

Hi Dulciean and thank you so much for the warm welcome :-)

I would ideally love to be a Kinder Assistant.

I had a look at the pay rate and it is very low, your right but i know this going in. You are so right about feeling stifled in the corporate sector- That's how i feel.

Am i allowed to ask who you are doing your Diploma externally with? Maybe once i have my Cert III i might look at that option as i would of formed some study habits by then.

Again thank you so much for replying :-)

Kel
-x-

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:54 pm

hi kelly, welcome to this forum. its great to see you are ready to make a change in your career. Sometimes you need to take bold decisions to make a positive change in your life. Not many would do that and risk a high paying job. So applauds to you! :clap: Wish you all the best and I am sure things will go your way.

Like Dulciean said, cert 3 is an entry level qualification and completing it will get you started in childcare. Dont worry too much even if you havent studied for a long time. Its common for everyone to feel nervous especially after a long break from studying. Cert 3 is quite easy and you should be able to complete it if you are dedicated. Once you complete it, you can start working with children and see where that takes you. As you gain experience over time you will also gain confidence. So good luck and tell us how it all goes. This forum always welcomes people who are passionate to work with children so you will find plenty of support here!

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Kelly,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

Like both posts mentioned above you will need to at least have a certificate 3 in children's services to be qualified in this industry. The government has recently made some changes to the early childhood sector and a minimum qualification of a cert 3 is now required by all who are working with children.

There are many options to consider when completing your qualification, such as online, TAFE or even a traineeship. Have you thought about doing a traineeship for your cert 3? This basically allows you to work and study at the same time to enable you to get practical experience. Maybe it's an option worth considering.

Yes, the wages in childcare are very low for the amount of time, dedication, support, care and teaching we provide to the children and their families however I feel that when working in this industry you have to have a passion for it otherwise you aren't going to survive! It is definitely hard work, like other jobs... Some days are better than others but there is nothing more fulfilling than knowing you are making a difference in a child's life.

Happy to hear you have a supportive family to back you up... that makes it all the easier!

Just wanted to say nice to have someone dedicated like you entering the early childhood industry! It's going to be a fun ride! :giggle:

See you around the forum,

:geek:,
L.A

kelly1212

Post by kelly1212 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Thank you so much for your warm replies catchmeifucan and L.A I am definately passionate about this. Scared but excited at the same time :-)

Kel
-x-

Camron

Post by Camron » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi everyone,
Hope you all are fine.My name is Camron and i am newbie here.I am employee in a law firm.I see some topic on this forum that i want to discuss.Hope have a great time in this community.

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:33 pm

HI there
I am a Kindy teacher in WA (where Kindy's are attached to schools and are part of the education sector) My assistant has Cert 3 and any special needs children I have, need a Cert 4 assistant.
I would encourage everyone to do at least a Cert 4 as it comes in very handy for all the children with additional needs, plus, I think it counts towards a bachelor degree (get two electives knocked off I think, should you ever decide to get your teaching degree.
I know the pay is not the best, but if your passion is working with the beautiful kids it is worth it.
Cathiek

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Post by JNP » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Kel,
I work as a kindergarten assistant at a Council run kindergarten. From what I have heard the Council pays above the award. I love working for the Council they are very supportive and offer good professional development opportunities. I consider myself very lucky. Like you, I used to work in the corporate sector and gave up good money to work with children, but I have never regreted it, I can honestly say I really love my job. I look forward to work every day, there are not many people who can say that, I'm sure. BTW I am 49 yrs old and have just one more assessment to hand in to get my diploma. You are never too old to follow your dreams. Wishing you all the very best.

Jules

kelly1212

Post by kelly1212 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks so much everyone

Kel
-x-