New position in OOSH

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
leenie
Participator
Participator

New position in OOSH

Post by leenie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:47 pm

I know there is a lot of long day care topics.
But I have started a job as educational leader in 120 place centre.
Looking for, ideas with NQF, MTOP to cover 120 children BSC/ASC? Individual/groups.
How would you do the observations, evaluations, learning stories especially on this many kids individually?

I also recently read a comment somewhere that a Centre had been doing everything they could think of "paperwork" wise but didn't meet all the criteria for accreditation. From what I can see is that OOSH are trying to reinvent long day care in OOSH regarding paperwork. I like simplicity and don't agree with all the stuff people are doing. You also don't have time,for example, preparing breakfast for 50-70 children you have them for 11/2-2hours in BSC depending on age, some of them don't get to your centre until 1/2-1hr before they go to school.
I feel the framework requirement is over the top for school children considering the reality of their school life and then somewhere to be safe to play before they go to school or parents pick them up ASC.

Have a OOSH background, so all ready have a foundation, I'm also very creative and love engaging children and like Reggio Emilia philosophy, also enjoy teaching. I was already doing heaps of stuff with kids before the framework came into place, I guess I'm struggling with the need to formalise in depth paperwork, many OOSH services aren't really getting it.

Looking for lots of ideas, thoughts, information or anything else and reflection on the above! thanks

Lorina

Re: New position in OOSH

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:25 am

I don't have much experience with OOSH since the framework came into place... However I would love to help you as much as I can!

MTOP is exactly like the EYLF for the older children, the only difference being 1 less outcome and 1 outcome re-worded. I understand what you're saying that it is a little over the top for school kids. In an LDC educators can't complete the required paperwork within a full days work so how are you supposed to complete it when you only work a few hours here and there... Keep it simple and one if the biggest benefits that you can use the children. Get the children to write their own learning stories that you can display around the room, take photos of them during an experience and get them to write a story of what happened etc. Obviously not all children will want to do it but there will be a few of those who do so let them.

With observations keep them very simple and you will probably need to work out a timetable/calender on which children need to be observed on each day. Split these up with staff, so permanent staff working can each have a couple of children they need to observe per day. The written observation should be quick and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to complete...In regards to the follow up, make it a habit with staff to write the child's name, follow up and l/o onto a monthly calender that is hung on the wall so you can easily keep track of who needs to be observed and who is having a follow up.

Have you thought about what programming format you will be using?

I was just thinking maybe instead of trying to program for 120 children at a time you can split it up into Junior OOSH (for the younger ones) and Senior OOSH (for the older ones) this way you can cover experiences for the different ages and stages and it may be easier with all the documentation needs if the groups were split. You could also probably run 2 different programs which will be easier including children's interests and needs.... What do you think? Sorry just throwing ideas out there...

Let me know what type of program you're using and if you're willing to split the group up and see what else I can come up with for you...

:geek:,
L.A

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Great thanks
I start officially tomorrow though had a few days last week to observe and interact with vacation care kids. I will be working with the other permanent staff and find out more about where their plan is. I'll keep in touch. Leenie

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:46 pm

OOSH is supposed to be a place where kids can chill out after a hard days work at school. Like i remember my sister going to OOSH where they had computer games such as Nintendo and Play Station don't know if the framework allows that now. Kids are older so easier to get their input and ideas which helps you with the program. This will probably largely be based on them telling you what they want to do. During afternoon meeting you can get kids feedback on the activities and use this info as "their voice". Like whether they enjoyed a particular game, food was tasty etc. Record these comments for reference.

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Hi Lorina
From the last couple of weeks there is some work, needed to be done, spent time getting to know children and staff and getting the feel of the place. In process of getting a simple obs sheet done and will split kids between staff, I think will work quite well. At the moment working with program in place...... don't know if comes from LDC setting.
To work something between Jn and Sn children will take time.
..........it is a catch 22, staff that come from LDC want to turn OOSH into LDC and staff that have only worked in OOSH struggled with 'working with children' (getting away from the idea of child minding, which I get as the simplest idea of OOSH is keeping children safe after school) , just running an activity and initiating conversations that help with extending/scaffolding or bringing learning into the situation. Let alone all the new framework and paperwork.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:09 am

Seems like you're getting the hang of things there. You have the right idea about having conversation with the children to see where this leads to. You should document these conversations as well. Get a scrapbook ask a daily question and get the children to write their responses etc. From here, you just need to show links to the MTOP learning outcomes. It may be a little confusing at the moment but in time you'll get use to it. :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A

leenie
Participator
Participator

Post by leenie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:29 am

Lorina, maybe you could help me out the program format seems very teacher orientated and you have to put the outcomes on the planned experience before you even do it. I don't agree with, because what you plan could turn into outcomes that weren't expected. (I get the general idea that they want make sure children are getting an overall learning through all the outcomes, so they want to monitor it) They want aims of activity. The whole format is formal and not fun. I have started putting links in the aim section as there was no place for linking. We are going to some OOSH seminar soon covering many areas of documentation etc for OOSH so I'm hoping through this I will be able to bring up changes. What do programs look like in LDC? and I know OOSH are struggling with linking?