needs some ideas on how to combat the anti FDC brigade

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
foundationsfdc

needs some ideas on how to combat the anti FDC brigade

Post by foundationsfdc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:58 am

Hi, I have just found this forum and am hoping some of you might have some ideas which might help me.
I have just started a new Family Day Care service, having worked in ECEC for almost 20 years. I have been shocked to find the negative ideas trainers have been giving to local child care students about Family Day Care: It seems the message has been going out for the last few years, at least, that LDC is the only 'decent' care and ed around, resulting in very few people wanting to work in FDC in the local area, despite having children on a waiting list. I have had people start with me, then start their schooling, only to quit saying their teachers told them FDC was not a decent career/substandard/a career killer. It is not as if there is a competing service, as we are in the outer east of Melbourne, including the Yarra Valley. I just don't know how to overcome this stigma. Please give me some ideas.

Lorina

Re: needs some ideas on how to combat the anti FDC brigade

Post by Lorina » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:07 am

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

Yes, I believe there is a stigma surrounding FDC. I think this is due to the fact that with FDC, there isn't much information circulating educators about how they can run or be part of an FDC setting. When studying for Cert 3, Diploma etc. the focus is always working in a LDC, OOSH or a Preschool setting... Even when doing placement it's always in an LDC setting, as far as I know FDC isn't even considered. It's a shame because I think an FDC is a very good option.

At the beginning I didn't know much about FDC at all. I still don't know that much but I understand that it is a great benefit for families and provides a child with a strong connection and close bond with an educator. Children are cared for in a homely environment and in small groups with others. They still participate in experiences just like in an LDC. The EYLF and NQS is still maintained in an FDC as well which I believe supports educators working in an FDC as well.

I guess many people overlook FDC for a number of reasons. For e.g. Educators working in a LDC work within a team environment whereas some FDC setting there is only one educator, FDC educators need to take care of all documentation, planning, admin work etc where as in an LDC it’s shared between others in the room, you can take sick days (not sure how it works in FDC), LDC educators paid on an hourly basis according to your position (not sure in FDC) etc. However this doesn’t mean FDC shouldn’t even been considered. I think if educators are given more details and understandings then I believe that it will probably be a preferred option for many. There are so many issues that educators are facing in LDC settings at the moment (regarding other staff, management etc), that unfortunately we are losing a lot of great educators. Instead of finding an alternate career then maybe an option is FDC if possible.

I think the best option for you is to involve your community and families within your area. Have an “Open Day” at your FDC which enables families to have a walk through to see the environment, maybe you could also print flyers which you can give to parents about your FDC and the benefits etc.

In order to get other educators involved maybe it’s a good idea to approach TAFE or institutes whom are offering the Cert3/Diploma qualifications and suggest that you can take on some placement students just so they can see what it is like. The more information you provide the better awareness it’s going to bring within the community of the benefits or working or starting an FDC.

Just wanted to share my thoughts,

:geek:,
L.A

foundationsfdc

Re: needs some ideas on how to combat the anti FDC brigade

Post by foundationsfdc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:56 am

Hi Lorina,
Thank-you for your extensive response. I agree that FDC still suffers due to a lack of knowledge, however it is the negative instruction being actively given which is what I am finding so challenging. To have a group of Educaors, none of whom knew each other yet, all independently say the teachers had put them off by those comments. I have tried offering to speak with or give flyers for students, but was told they won't allow that as 1 it is promoting my business and 2 it is FDC. I already have one student doing placement, but the challenge is to have them placed with experienced Educators as I am yet to find any who want/are allowed todo a placement with the Coordination Unit. So still looking for ideas.
Kathi