Need advise on when best to change careers....office job to childcare

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Betty123

Need advise on when best to change careers....office job to childcare

Post by Betty123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello everyone, I am not new to this forum but this is my first posting under 'Career In Child Care' so any suggestion/comment will be greatly appreciated.

My current situation: I am 33, married and thinking of starting a family soon (not pregnant yet but actively trying...I love babies). I have been working as an accounts clerk in my current company for close to 4 years, studying hard (distant/open learning) in gaining my Diploma in Children's services, and should have all my units done within the next 6 months. Due to the Vocational Placement component (VPC240D), I am thinking it will be easier just to resign from my current job and make the switch to childcare now to finish off my study (my current employer is making it rather difficult for me to schedule my annual leave to complete my vocational placement hours). My question to those already in the childcare industry, is it possible to gain employment in a childcare centre without formal qualification (although I have finished the necessary units for a certificate III, I can't get my certificate until I complete the full diploma - CHC50908 Dipoma Pathways Program)?

And what type of pay can I expect? Will I start from the bottom at level 1 with no formal qualification, or mid level at 3 for certificate III, or level 4 - diploma? As much as I wish to focus in completing my study quickly and conveniently and forget about the money side of things, I do need to make enough to cover mortgage repayment!

I would also like to know more about the "discount on childcare services" offered by many childcare centres/services, e.g. goodstart early learning, when working with them...if you are employed full-time, are you automatically qualified for % discount? Or is there a min. waiting/employment period before you can start enjoying this benefit?

Hiring month/season, is there one for the childcare industry?

If there are mothers, or soon to mother, who have or is making the same journey/change as me, please share your experience with me...I would love to hear your story.

Many thanks.
Betty

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Need advise on when best to change careers....office job to childcare

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:08 am

Perhaps you can get a letter from your study provider saying you have completed and are competent as a Cert III qualified person however due to the nature of your course combining the cert III & Diploma means you will only get issued a Diploma certificate when you finish.
This letter may help you get employment as a Cert III qualified assistant rather than an unqualified and the though the payscales in childcare only really differ from a few dollars as you move up the chain every dollar helps.
I am DIploma qualified and get $23.39

Sometimes it is just good to get your foot in the door regardless of pay. I do not know where in QLD you are but though there are heaps of childcare jobs its not always easy to find the right one or a good service to work in.

It is probably wise to do the move now since if you do your placement somewhere and they like you they may well offer you a job at the end of it and moving into childcare now means if you want to start a family hopefully you would have worked a full year before you have your baby so you can get the maternity leave etc. I know my last & current centre would only give you the paid parental leave after 12mnths of service.

Some childcare centres Ive worked in offer discounted rates to their staff others have not so check before you begin working, probably ask at the interview straight up.

In some respects letting on that you will be starting a family soon may not work in your favour, though childcare has a huge turnover of staff some places may not want to hire someone who is just going to leave once they have a baby. I assume you will not return to work immediately after having the baby. If you do get asked about it its up to you whether you are up front and say yes you plan on getting preg v.soon or whether you just say its not on the cards for another year or so.

Betty123

Post by Betty123 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi FeFe, thank you for the reply. Like what you have suggested, I have already spoken to my school/Tafe and they are happy to provide me with a written doc./letter to confirm that I have completed Certificate 3 units and also listing out the diploma units I have completed and those yet to complete.

At the moment, my thoughts are ever changing from day to day as to the best time to make my career change, but the following factors/thoughts are always going through my mind:
- I am comfortable with my current job, the only reason I would want to quit is to spend more time with my own baby (when I eventually become pregnant).
- My boss can try to make my vocational placement difficult, but it is still my annual leave...if I stretch it out (cover it in a year instead of trying to complete everything within 6 months), he can't really say much or do anything about it.
- If I do become pregnant within the next 12 months, while completing my study, it might be best that I just stay with my current job and take the maternity leave with my current employer. Whether he likes or not, I am covered by Fair works Australia and they must comply and give me the 12 months maternity leave if I ask for one (from what I know this is the case). Unpaid after the first 18 weeks of PPL but I can relax and enjoy my time with my baby, and at the same time look for a childcare centre/family day care centre to work for.
- Best if the centre gives a discount on child care if I work for them, but, if not, I can work and be close to my own child day in day out.

I guess it all comes down to the timing of my pregnancy...if a good childcare job comes along (e.g. pay above award wage, close to home, discount on child care for employed staff) and I am still waiting to become pregnant, I guess I will have to take the gamble. $23.39/hr is definately a pay cut from my current wage level, but hopefully this will change soon...hearing alot of talk about pay increase/s for the childcare industry lately, with all the reforms to take place from now to 2014.

No matter what happens, my diploma will open new doors and I feel so much more secure about my future having a baby =)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:06 pm

Good luck with whatever your decide to do. We have been hearing about pay rises for a while ... hopefully it will happen soon. We deserve it.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:08 am

Hi Betty,

Just wanted to share my thoughts on your current situation. Honestly in my opinion I would stick with your current job, finish off your diploma, have your baby and when you are ready to return to work after your baby is due then change your career. It's just that I know that it's not easy working in childcare... Don't get me wrong working with children really fulfills you but the reality of it is it's stressful, demanding and can be pretty physical. If you are thinking of trying to get pregnant I think its best to avoid putting so much stress on you and your body by working in childcare and wait until your baby is born.

In regard to your wages in childcare it will probably be less than $23.39 because you are still needing to complete your diploma and it also depends on the position you get. Not all centres are willing to pay above award and those that do isn't likely to be much more than what FeFe mentioned. Its part of the industry, wages are ridiculous compared to the amount of work we put in.

I'm not too sure about the procedures of maternity leave but I think that you will have to work for a minimum of 12 months before you will be eligible for it. From the centres I have worked at, most of them do give a discount on childcare for staff but this once again depends on the centre you are employed with.

I think it pretty much comes down to when you want to get pregnant... the earlier (stay with your current job) the later (maybe look for a job in childcare)... It's a tough decision to make but don't worry it will all work out in the end!

Best of Luck and keep us updated on when the big news arrives!

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Betty123

Post by Betty123 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:18 pm

Hi L.A, nice to hear from you again....I believe you helped me with one of my previous post in "Certificate III studies'.

I too came to the conclusion that it pretty much comes down to when I do become pregnant... the earlier (stay with my current job) the later (maybe look for a job in childcare). I guess the next 12 months will decide for itself on the road I take, whether I fall pregnant or not, finish my study or not, how my employer react...I kind of just have to wait and see what happens. With all the uncertainty I still feel very positive about my decision to have a baby, something to look forward to...study hasn't been easy (it is almost like working and study full time at the same time) but the thought of having my baby girl (or boy) kind of push me along =)

I am sure you will see more of my post in "Diploma studies" in the coming months...still a few units to go!

Thank you for your advise.
Betty

JacksonBrowne

Post by JacksonBrowne » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:20 pm

I also would advise you to stay in your current job and take advantage of their maternity leave provisions. Once in child care you'll be working shift work (7.00am starts 6.00pm finishes) on $23.98 no centre that I know of would ever pay above award wage and the work is gruelling to say the least. Its exhausting. Take maternity leave and then resign from your current job, study for your diploma and work casually maybe ... that's what I did