Looking for work with new bub

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
peppa

Looking for work with new bub

Post by peppa » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm looking at returning to work soon after the birth of my bub, but am a bit confused on the etiquette of looking for a new workplace with a bub in tow. How do you look for a new job with a little one (or maybe not so little one!) - should I expect there to be a place at the centre, or start looking at a centre for bub and hope a job follows it. I do have a job I can return to, but there is a half an hour commute which I'd love to reduce.

Lorina

Re: Looking for work with new bub

Post by Lorina » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:59 pm

I think it really depends on the availability of a spot for your child. If there is a spot available on the days you require for the centre you're applying for then it's fine. However, if there isn't one available then it can become a problem. So, when applying for a job you also have to determine if there is a spot for your child. When looking for a position, since you are looking for your child as well it may be best to go for chain centres. Just because from my previous experience, they also give reduced centre fees to staff who have a child in their centre. Also, it's more likely that a spot may be opened for your child within a bigger centre... You just have to speak to the director about when applying for the job and see what can be worked out for you. There are many staff in your position and have found a position for themselves and their child... Only thing is may take longer but it's possible!

Let me know how it goes,

Good Luck,

:geek:,
L.A

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 pm

It can be a hard task to find a job as well as a place for your baby at the same centre but I think they may give priority to you since you will be an employee and if no place is available at the centre, if you work with them you may be given first priority on the waiting list. May be beneficial just to commute to your previous centre since everything already seems ready for you there.

peppa

Post by peppa » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:44 pm

MMmmmm... that's what I've decided to do (I'm not planning to go back until the middle of July), and if something comes up between now and then, I'll apply and see if they can find a spot for her at the new centre! It's harder with that smaller ratio in nursery!! ;) If she was older, I don't think it would be as big of a problem.

Thanks for the advice :D

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 pm

My centre staff with baby had 2 wait few months on waiting list b4 getting spot in toddler room 4 baby. She put baby in another centre until then.

peppa

Post by peppa » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:10 pm

So, July is coming and my current centre has no space for bub. boohoo! They could offer me one day, but really, what is the point of going to work for one day!? ;) We are breastfeeding and don't use bottles, so I've opted to go back in January when she moves into the toddler room... although I am going for a job interview this week for a brand new centre which is opening closer to home. I am trying to work out how to say in the interview "So, I have an almost 12 month old by the time your centre opens.......is there any room for her here? Because if there's not, I can't take the job, sorry!" Any tips? :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:16 am

I know you may not feel comfortable saying it but you need to let the director know that you are also looking for care for your child as well. Since it is a new centre, they may have places available and if you mention it during the interview itself you may get the spot. You don't need to say that you can't take the job if there isn't a spot just continue on with the interview. If they happen to give you a call back just et them know that you found a centre that accommodated your needs...

Hopefully you can work something out,

:geek:,
L.A