Looking for a Job - Studying Diploma, No Experience

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for a Job - Studying Diploma, No Experience

Post by Macoola » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:11 pm

Hello

I am currently looking for a job as an assistant as I am half way through my diploma and have not worked in the industry yet. I have applied for a couple of jobs but nothing has worked out as I have no experience. I was wondering what others did when they were starting out? Did you just hand your resume out to nearby centres even if they don't have any jobs advertised? Or any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks Macoola
Last edited by Lorina on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Looking for a Job

Post by Lorina » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:08 am

Hi Macoola,

Even though your halfway through your diploma centres are always in need of diploma trained staff. However, because you lack experience it may be a bit of a downfall. Some centres may be hesitant to put you into a room leader position as you have never worked in childcare before. You'll find that although there are a lot of jobs available especially for diploma's typically centres want someone who has experience so they can throw them in the deep end.

It sucks I know because you need to start some where... I know you haven't had much luck but you'll find a centre who is willing to give you an opportunity. You may have to find a smaller private centre rather than a chain centre. Handing in your resume at different centres is a good way to go even though they may not be looking. You could also mention that you are available for casual work as well. This way you can get your experience up.

If you still haven't had any luck the best bet would be go with a recruiting agency. They can help you get a job or if you want work as a casual until you find something.

Don't worry I'm sure you'll find something soon!

:geek:
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Looking for a Job - Studying Diploma, No Experience

Post by Macoola » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Thanks L.A.

Yeah I know I don't think I want a Group Leader position yet as I have no experience, but I am mainly looking at assistant positions. I will keep looking. The hard thing is I want part time work at the moment to finish of my diploma as soon a possible, but I would be up for casual work thanks for that suggestion.

Will let you know how it goes

Macoola

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:25 pm

Sorry L.A. I forgot to ask, when applying for jobs should you get your own working with children check through the https://check.kids.nsw.gov.au/ website or will your employer do that for you?

Thanks Macoola

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:51 am

Sometimes its easier to get checks done and have your first aid certs etc that way if you are offered a position you are ready to start immediately.
Keep applying something will come up. I would be applying for Group Leader roles too as the best experience you can get is on the job.
Perhaps while job hunting do some volunteer work at a centre?

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks fefe

That is some great advice I appreciate your help. I am currently looking for my first aid cert as we have just moved back to Aus and everything is a bit of a mess at the moment but hopefully I will find it, if not I will have to no doubt ask my old Tafe for another copy and pay for it, will wait and see.

Thanks again!!!

Macool

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

If u did it over 3yrs ago it would have expired & CPR expires every year. If its too complicated getting a copy just do the whole senior first aid cert again

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am

Oh thanks for that Fefe, I didn't know CPR expired every year mine will be expired now then. My first aid cert is only just over a year old, can you just do CPR at Tafe or somewhere else?

Thanks again

Macoola

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:49 am

Call St Johns Ambulance they usually run first aid courses or just google search First Aid courses in whatever state you are in
You would have to pay it yourself but can claim it back on tax as it is for work. If you remember who you did your first aid through give them a call and they can arrange to send you a replacement certificate and probably run CPR courses too so you could do it through them. However it does not really matter who or how you do it as long as it is up to date.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am

That's great will probably call St Johns as I have moved away from my old Tafe.

Thanks for all the advice will let you know how it goes

Macoola

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:00 pm

No probs and good luck with it all.
On the job front I remember when I moved back to Oz I printed out a heap of my CVs and went to every childcare centre in the vicinity and spoke to them and handed in my CV or I called them spoke to them and emailed my CV through. Even those who did not have positions took my CV as things can change quickly in this industry and if they have your CV on hand they may not even bother to advertise a position and just call you.
The only thing that is against you is lack of experience but enthusiasm will make up for that.
Maybe make a kind of portfolio of resources you would use in your room. Say art & craft ideas, motor skills, language skills etc and have it in a folder along so you can show them what ideas you have and would implement. Also read up on the EYLF so you are familiar with it in case they ask you.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:08 pm

All great advice, I love the idea of a portfolio will defiantly do that. It is great to hear from someone who has been in a similar situation. Have been doing lots of reading on EYLF so hope I am prepared.

Thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 pm

Macoola wrote:Sorry L.A. I forgot to ask, when applying for jobs should you get your own working with children check through the https://check.kids.nsw.gov.au/ website or will your employer do that for you?

Thanks Macoola
Regarding the working with children's check here in NSW you don't need to get your own done. Typically when applying for a centre and you have secured a position, the director will get you to fill out a working with children's check. If you are going through an agency then they will provide the paperwork for you. So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks L.A.

That helps a lot one less thing to do yay!

Thanks

dulciean
Consultant
Consultant

Post by dulciean » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:00 am

Hi Macoola
Just adding- if you can do the Anaphylaxis and Asthma training that would help as well. I am going to do these courses to improve my job prospects. The industry keeps requiring us to have more and more certification! Best of luck.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:12 am

Thanks Dulciean

Will keep that in mind, will be doing my CPR course on Feb 25th.

Thanks

NorthLight36
Helper
Helper

Post by NorthLight36 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:49 pm

St John's training is fantastic, in my experience. Def. recommend them.

Re: Finding a job, I did a lot of baby-sitting and got references from parents, then handed out my CV to everyone, no matter if they were listing a job or not, as well as applying for anything and everything I saw. Eventually I got my current job, working casually for my local council.

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks NorthLight

Will keep that in mind. Babysitting is a great idea.