Job application failed

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
sunjuice

Job application failed

Post by sunjuice » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:27 pm

Hi Guys,
Officially, this is my first time post a topic here, I really wanna share my feeling ATM. I got a bad day today because I did not do well in an interview today. I could tell I am not going to receive any phone call from them again.
I have prepared for it since last Monday, and the result is not that great. I reflected that there may be two reasons for it, lack of experience, I attained my ECT degree last June and have been working as a causal assistant. The second reason might be language, as a non-native speaker, some questions I do not completely understand and provide good answers. I am wondering if I should keep working for it. Please help me out and give suggestions!! :( :(

Lorina

Re: Job application failed

Post by Lorina » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:02 am

Hi Sunjuice,

Welcome to Aussie Childcare Network! :wave:

I'm sorry to hear that your interview didn't got that well. Sometimes it may take a couple of interviews before you get a job but don't worry there is a high need for ECT's at the moment so before you know it, you will find something. You mentioned lack of experience, the only way to gain experience is if you work and you just need to get an opportunity. The benefit you have is that you are currently doing casual work so during the interview you can talk about your experiences and duties you perform while working as a casual, also you can talk about what you did while on prac etc.

Being a non-native speaker is also a benefit because you are bi-lingual. You can introduce your customs and culture to the children in your care. During your interview you can maybe talk about how you want to teach the children about your culture for example teach them how to count or sing songs in your language. As long as you can be understood then there shouldn't be a problem. Being a bi-lingual speaker is a very big plus since we are such a multicultural society.

As for the questions every centre is different. However as an ECT you will probably be given some tough questions but mostly they should be on the NQF, EYLF and Regulations. Best thing to do is research these and understand them.

Since you have already had your first interview you should have a better idea of what questions they asked. BTW, what questions did they ask you? It's normal to feel nervous during interviews, I still do but once you get talking about your experiences etc they quickly disappear. Just be yourself... If you don' get a call back, don't worry find some place else!

Keep me posted on how you go!

Best of luck,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Job application failed

Post by fchaudari76 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:11 am

Welcome
do not feel disillusioned
it is ok to tell them you are a bit nervous and to repeat the question for you etc
after a few interviews you will start seeing a pattern in questions they ask, which means you will be able to go in better prepared to answer these

make a portfolio of examples of a program or examples of what you have done with the children so that you are talking about your program and your strengths and the employers have something they can actually look at to see you can do what is going to be expected of you, especially if you have only done casual assistant work and no ECT work or Group Leader work they need evidence that you can manage and run a successful program and room

Keep trying, it will take you longer as you have not had experience in the job you are going for, it took me a year of applying for Directors roles before I got one as i had no formal experience as one but once you get a job and get some experience it will never be a problem again