HELP!! 16 year old wanting to get in to childcare.

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Mumjo

HELP!! 16 year old wanting to get in to childcare.

Post by Mumjo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:50 am

Hi All, my daughters will be 16 in a few weeks she is currently in year 11 at school she wants to get in to child care. She has missed out on enrolling in a TVET course and is now doing classes at school that really have no relevance to the child care fielded but can not leave school until she is 17 unless enrolled in full time accredited study, full time employment or a combination of both. It is my understanding that she can not work or start a traineeship in a child care until she is at least 17? To start with She wants to do the cert 3 in child care then find employment with possibility of doing the diploma while working. My questions are does she need to have finished year 11 &12 to do this? Should she leave school and enrol in full time tafe for her cert 3 then when she is 17 start applying for jobs/traineeship? Or Should she finish year 11 & 12 and then start her cert 3 in child care. Then there's the option of finishing year 11 then enrolling in a full time cert 3 tafe course instead of doing year 12? Any suggestions or advice will be very appreciated!! Thanks

leenie
Participator
Participator

Re: HELP!! 16 year old wanting to get in to childcare.

Post by leenie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:15 pm

Might not be a popular answer! But these days you need to have year 12, your daughter has her whole life before her and cert 3 is very beginning and limiting. If she is ambitious with a career with children you need to go for a uni degree as it will open doors up for her down the road. At least the diploma means you can run a room or coordinator in OOSH but they are changing qualifications all the time, it might come to a point where a degree is necessary like nursing.
If she could finish year 12 and than do a traineeship would be good or at least go on and do tafe but from looking on Seek there are usually traineeships around. You could ring Tafe and talk to someone from the childcare field.
If you want to do preschool age you need ECT (early childhood teacher) There is a degree at Griffith QLD uni and ECU, Edith Cowan university WA called child/ren and family studies (Don't know if this degree is available in NSW)

Many advertisements for childcare positions outside of wanting assistants (cert 3) are asking for higher than needed quals.

It is really hard too 16 is so young and the dynamics of working with children is a lot more complicated than basic care routines. Knowing family situations, interacting with parents, social dynamics etc are a huge part of working with kids, dealing with neglect and abuse etc. There is a tough side of working with children. Little like nursing you have to know how to be a professional carer and be emotionally detached. But if this is your daughters passion than finishing year 12 and getting a traineeship with a really good supportive childcare centre or organisation sounds good.
I would also suggest if she is really into it, start researching and reading up on childcare. ACECQA is the Australian education and childcare authority and you can google their name.
Hope this helps

Mumjo

Post by Mumjo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 pm

It is also my preference that she finish years 11 & 12 then go on to do a traineeship or even better uni and I have advised her that would be best. After doing work experience and doing child studies in year 9 & 10 She is certain that childcare is what she wants to do, I think she is just in a hurry to get started. Thank you so much for your very helpful reply, I may even show it to her. :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:07 am

I agree that your daughter should wait until she finishes year 12 as this gives her are much wider range of opportunities for the future. True that a childcare qualification you may only need year 10 certificate however it's important you have your options open. For now childcare may be a good career but in the future 10 or 15 years later your daughter may decide on something else and completing year 12 is always safe.

I actually started my cert 3 traineeship when I was in year 12 (towards the end). After school I would go and work part time in the centre for a few hours and once I completed year 12 (very next day) I started my full time traineeship. It was helpful because even though I may have only worked a few hours in the afternoon I got to know the children, staff, families so when I started full time it was an easy transition. Maybe that's something your daughter can look into?

It sounds like your daughter is very determined and passionate about wanting to work with children and that's fantastic! Just the type of person we need in this industry! It's also nice to hear that a young girl has already figured out what she wants to do career wise.

I wish her the best of luck! and it seems she has a great support system from you mum! :thumbup:

:geek:,
L.A

Purplebutterfly2006
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Post by Purplebutterfly2006 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi!

Is she 100% set on a traineeship? You'd have to check with some distance education providers but she could possibly study with them while still completing high school. She could to it and have it not have it related to her school studies and complete a block placement in the holidays.

Absolutely complete year 11 and 12 as already posted it opens up so many more doors for you. A year 12 education is a Necessity for everyone these days.

There are a lot of options out there, but I'd say your first step is to talk to the careers councilor at your school.

It's great to hear she is really thinking about her future. And good on you for supporting her, I know that family support is really important when it is about your future! Good luck to her and all the best!