Gaining employment in Child Care with own kids

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
diamond84

Gaining employment in Child Care with own kids

Post by diamond84 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi,

I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know regarding the issue of getting a job in a LDC and then enrolling your own kids into the centre as well.

I've read on here a few times that some centres don't allow staff children to attend the same centre, is this something that is common or only an exception?

Ideally after I finish my diploma I'd like to gain employent in a centre and book my two kids in there too but is this something I should ask about in an interview? To me it is important that my kids can attend the same centre (depending on places for them of course) and I just want to know if this is now becoming an industry standard where your kids can't attend your centre?

Also, to the LDCs that do allow you to book your kids in, do most of them offer discounts on fees? If so, what is the average in discounts offered?

Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Kristina

tschildcare

Re: Gaining employment in Child Care with own kids

Post by tschildcare » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:37 pm

Different centres have different policies. Our centre allows staff to have children there and we have a discount for staff they pay 75% of normal fees for their children.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:38 am

When going for an interview you should inform them that you would also like your children to attend the same centre if you end up working there. This way during the interview itself you can discuss whether or not if this is a possibility. It really depends on the centre but if there are spots available then I think the centre will allow it. The only concerns the centre will have is what room you will be working in and where to place your child. They may not place you with your child as this can cause confusion and may be unsettling for your child... That's why it's a good idea to bring this up during the interview so you know what your options are.

At previous centres when having a child enrolled in the same centre the fees come out of your fortnightly wages. I'm not too sure how much discounted fees were for staff with an enrolled child was though...

Hopefully you find a centre for you and your children,

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:53 am

Thought this may be an interesting read as well:

Working At Daycare Your Child Attends

L.A

megs_95
Helper
Helper

Post by megs_95 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 pm

it depends on the centre. My centre allows it, but makes sure the parent and children are in separate rooms (e.g. if your child is 5, you would not be able to work in the preschool age room).

I think it depends on your child really. Some parents at my centre have no problem having their child in the centre, while others struggle because their children know they are nearby and will be very unsettled, especially when they see their parent.

Cor26

Post by Cor26 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:43 pm

It does depend on the centre. My son attends my centre and I had to sign a form stating I wouldn't favour him over other children, which is only fair. I'm not allowed to be the lead educator in the same room as him and this is pretty standard as far as I am aware. The company I am with offers a discount depending on level of qualification and you have the option to subsidise from your wage.

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:16 am

Cor26 wrote:It does depend on the centre. My son attends my centre and I had to sign a form stating I wouldn't favour him over other children, which is only fair. I'm not allowed to be the lead educator in the same room as him and this is pretty standard as far as I am aware. The company I am with offers a discount depending on level of qualification and you have the option to subsidise from your wage.

That's interesting how your centre made you sign a form but I guess it gives you as the employee and the employer an understanding on what is expected as far as work ethics go in regards to your child.

What room is your son in and what room are you working in? Did he find it difficult to adjust at first? Do you spend time with him during your breaks?

Just be interest to hear your experiences if you don't mind sharing...

L.A