Diploma Trained:Casual to Permanent Pay Rate

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Angelic8888

Diploma Trained:Casual to Permanent Pay Rate

Post by Angelic8888 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:38 pm

Hi,
Love reading everyone's posts on this subject.
I obtained my Diploma of Children's Services in 2000.
I have been working in various positions with the long daycare industry.
I am working for a privately owned centre for the last 18 months, I started of as a Casual Employee on $26.90 an hour but now work as permanent part-time, the Centre employ most Staff as permanent part-time and we work 37.5 hours a week.
We buy our own uniforms and pay for our own immunisations
I am paid $20.92 an hour, my Boss told me that I would only drop down a few dollars an hour, well this is $6 an hour.
I have contacted the paymaster but got no-where with that.
I would love to hear some ideas on what I should be earning, another Staff Member earns the same pay rate as me and she only obtained her Diploma last year.
This is not right after 13 years in the industry, generally in the afternoon and some mornings I am the only permanent person in the room, as the other staff are in and out of the room doing other work.
This does become stressful with 2 staff in the room after sleep time.
I can't find anything that shows that I am entitled to a higher rate of pay.
I can't survive on $20 an hour, I love my work and the children in my room.
But seriously I have to change profession so that I can earn a decent wage.
Please, any suggestions.
Thank you

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Childcare Wages?

Post by fchaudari76 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Casual rates are a fair bit higher than normal rates
Look up Childcare services award 2010
This is what award we are paid under.
Some places pay above award wage some dont.
If u have your diploma and have 1,2 or 3 yrs of ft experience you should be paid higher than someone who just completed their Diploma. However diploma + 3 yrs experience is as high as you can get without upgrading yr qualifications to the next level which would be an Adv Diploma or a degree

Lorina

Re: Diploma Trained:Casual to Permanent Pay Rate

Post by Lorina » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:24 pm

Hi Angel,

I've been looking through the Modern Award Wages to answer some other topics on this forum so I'd thought I'd try and help you out with your issue since my mind is full of minimum award wages and classification levels...

First of all the pay from casual rate to permanent rate drops down considerably and your boss should of been upfront about it. A few dollars doesn't equal an amount of $6...

Are you working as a group leader or assisting in the room?

According to the Modern Award Wage, if you are a group leader and you have completed your Diploma of Children's Services you will be classified as Level 4. On commencing you should be paid a minimum $21.27 before tax. After a year of service within the same centre, your minimum rate will increase.

If you are not a group leader, although you have a diploma you will be classified as Level 3.4 in which case your minimum rate will be $20.33.

So, the minimum rate changes according to your current position.

Hope this helps,

:geek:,
L.A

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Diploma Trained:Casual to Permanent Pay Rate

Post by fchaudari76 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:38 am

I think that it is our responsibility to check award rates and ask our superiors to show us the award and what rate we will be paid exactly.
Every time I have interviewed for a job I have asked for the exact amount I will be paid and what level I would be classified as. I checked if the centre paid above award wage, and if so how much more.
I have interviewed about 10 people in the last few months an not one asked about rate of pay.

On the flip side your superiors should be giving you the correct figures and information - casuals always earn more than a "few dollars" more its about $3/hr more starting at lvl 1.1 and by 6.9 Casuals earn $8/hr more than their perm counterparts