Courses for using AUSLAN with children?

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
megs_95
Helper
Helper

Courses for using AUSLAN with children?

Post by megs_95 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi everyone,

I have two children in my room (2-3 years) that use some AUSLAN to communicate. One is a young girl with Down's Syndrome, and the other a young girl with a speech delay/impediment. From the parents, and from staff who've worked with the children previously, I've learnt a few signs (toilet, stop, naughty, finished, etc) but I'd really like to learn more. I did an AUSLAN course a couple of years ago, but that was geared towards communicating with hearing impaired adults and fluency, whereas with the children it's almost all one word/one sign communications. Plus the vocabulary I need in childcare is much different from the vocabulary I'd use to communicate with adults!

Are there any courses that are designed for parents, teachers, childcare workers etc that focus on using AUSLAN with children? I feel like as good as a regular AUSLAN course is to do, it doesn't have the right focus for me and working with children. Any help is appreciated :)

(also, not sure if this is the right section for this topic... if not, sorry!)

Lorina

Re: Courses for using AUSLAN with children?

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:45 pm

I think it's beneficial for all educators to learn Auslan as well as make it part of the curriculum to teach to children....

I haven't found any courses as such however I did come across a government website offering a ton of information on learning Auslan for teachers and parents, vocabulary, posters, games and more. Maybe you can use these as a starting point:

http://www.signplanet.net/TeacherTrainer/TTPrint.asp

Also see if youtube has any videos on learning Auslan... It may help as well...

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Sorry I just realised the link posted above is only available for paid subscribers... I'll see if I can find anything for free...

:geek:,
L.A

Macoola
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Macoola » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:32 am

Hi Megs_95

During my Cert 3 at Tafe my teacher organised what is called a Key Sign course. A lady came into to our Tafe to teach us. It went for one day and focused on using AUSLAN key signs in child care. I am not sure where to do this course but you could ask your local Tafe about it as I really enjoyed the course and it has been very useful.

Macoola

catchmeifucan
Coach
Coach

Post by catchmeifucan » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:32 pm

What about baby sign langauge? I think it may be part of Auslan just simplified for children... Youtube has rhymes and songs to teach using baby sign language.