Choosing a Center to work in

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
Nicolejenicek

Choosing a Center to work in

Post by Nicolejenicek » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:15 am

I recently quit from a Centre because I didn't feel the staff were passionate experienced or mature.
I gave it a go for a few months but the nominated supervisor quit then the new one has no knowledge of the ELYF and was basically old school making all kids that cry sit on a time out chair. ( including all new infants not yet settled in)
It was a new centre with no policies set out, not appropriate practices carried out and worst of all none of the other staff have working with children's check.(still after 3/4 months of opening)
Any way I moved on and managed to get a role as a casual worker for Ku children's services but received a phone call from a previous interview which was a role I declined asking if I would reconsider.
The Centre was assessed and got a rating of working towards in all areas.
The Director assured me she made mistakes and wants to continue to hire more mature experienced staff.
Do I just wait as a casual hoping more permanent role comes up in a Govt childcare or is their any hope working in private centre that don't have good ratings in the QIP???

Am I being unrealistic thinking most private centers are the same ??? Or have I just had bad luck with the past 3?
I don't want to keep moving but I am working because I am passionate and not because I need to work financially.

Also if good position come up in community or govt centres they are usually for certificate and I am Diploma.
If I ask to take the role in good centre as a certificate worker does that look desperate??
Thanks for your input

Lorina

Re: Choosing a Center to work in

Post by Lorina » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:46 am

Not all private centres are disasters. There are a few good ones out there but then again you already worked in 3 so far which haven't been so good... Even though, if you find a good private centre to work at there are benefits you will get which you can't get from chain centre. First off, you are taken care of. At some centres the directors are the owners so they appreciate the hard work their staff put in. You are valued and you are encouraged. You have an opportunity to grow further. There are less staff turnover and you work directly or closely with the centre owner. This is great if you want to negotiate wages etc.

Some staff working in a chain are just there to do their job since they don't have to worry about anything else. It's up to the director to put in a good word to management about pay rises etc., you are not dealing with the centre owner at all, there is always a middle person to run things by, high staff turnover, you are unappreciated. Not all chain centres are like this, this is from what I have experienced at some. The differences are working for a chain, government or community childcare centre they have different management teams handling different areas such as policies, QIP, NQS, etc.

With a private centre it usually all falls on the head of the director/ co- ordination which itself can be an overwhelming task. In saying this, this is why some private centres struggle with delivery of what's necessary.

The thing is when working at a centre that is working towards you will have to put in the hard yards to get the centre going to work towards a higher rating. Everything within that centre needs to be changed and improved for the better. It's going to be difficult and challenging yet rewarding at the same time because you will be making a difference. You won't be there just to look after children. Your views, your suggestions and your input will be valued in order to make the centre a better place. Staff will be working together for the same outcome...

There is no point getting a cert3 position with your diploma. It's an absolute waste of your time and it downgrades you as well as you're qualification. You are qualified to be a room leader so that's the position you should get.

If I were you I would probably give it a go at the private place. It seems like the director is trying to do the right thing and understands how valuable staff are. Maybe you should go and talk to the director and once again have a look at the centre to see if you noticed any changes. Ask the director how she plans to change the centre, how it benefits you, your position, hours, wages, holidays etc. If you get a good wage and hours then just go with it. Tell her honestly why you declined in the first place so she understands your expectations as well... Why don't you give it 3 months (for the probation period) and then reassess if it's worth continuing...you can mention this to the director as well.

Look if it doesn't work out, you can always leave. I know it's hard changing all the time but if it's something you have to do then you really got no choice...

Good Luck and let me know what happens,

:geek:,
L.A

Nicolejenicek

Post by Nicolejenicek » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 am

Thank you for your response and great web page.
You are right I should give it a go and have nothing to loose and can always learn and reflect on my practices.
I will see the Director tomorrow and see what we can negotiate.
I just wish staff who are not passionate or dedicated don't choose to work in this field that is hard already but also rewarding.
That's why I thought being a casual my suit me as I seem to get frustrated with poor staff but sometimes when it's 90% of the staff in one centre not caring you have no choice but move on.
I will keep you posted and thanks again for you fantastic input , help and guidance.
P.s if you need a good hard worker let me know lol
:)

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:46 am

Hi

I just thought I would give my input as well. I know from experience how hard it is when staff don't care about the children they are meant to be looking after it's very sad.

It sounds like you just want to be part of a high quality centre where your skills and abilities are valued. As for this private centre that is trying to work towards the standards, I, myself, would be a bit wary of the job offer. It would involve a lot of extra work on your part to bring the centre up to standard, long hours, and lots of stress for you. I guess you just have to weigh up the pros and cons of it and decide whether it's worth it.
I've worked at dodgy centres before that didn't have many resources, and now I do relief work for a school kindy. My job now is far less stressful and the staff are so much more professional and caring. I also don't really need the money at the moment as I'm managing to get by financially while doing uni. So don't feel like you have to settle and work at a private centre that is not up to standard if you don't need to financially. If you can afford to be picky about where you work it's worth it.

I also agree that you should not take on a certificate 3 job as you have your diploma. It would be pointless and a step backwards in your career. It would also look bad on your part if u did go for a cert 3 job, the director would be wondering why u can't get a group leading job? It would also lead to job dissatisfaction as u ultimately want to do more than just assisting.

Maybe you could relocate to find a job as a group leader if you're finding there's no suitable jobs in your current area? Or go around to the centres you are interested in in person and put your resume out there. A lot of centres don't advertise positions I've found. I only got my current job as I went to the kindy in person and spoke to the director. So don't just rely on job postings go and speak to directors. Maybe this could be a good time for you to upgrade qualifications while finding suitable work that you are going to be happy with. I know there's good job prospects for kindy teachers at centres if that's something you would want to do.

Don't go for this job if you don't have to. If it wasn't your first pick it was for a good reason. You don't want to end up hating your job because you settled for it because there wasn't any other jobs going at the time. You never know, there may be jobs coming up in the new year at some fantastic centres.

Anyway good luck with your decision about this job and hope you find something suitable in the future :)

Nicolejenicek

Post by Nicolejenicek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 am

Hi there
You know what you are absolutely right. Just my thoughts exactly ... I had the weekend to think about it and came to this conclusion as well.
Last night my son who is never sick is home with Gastro so need to stay home with him so maybe that's another sign not to go to appointment with Director today lol.
I will be patient and also think of taking up my uni degree now all my kids grown up..??
I have always used my instinct in the past and you are right first impressions are usually right.
Thanks for your advice and feedback and it's Good to always have a few options but in the end you need to choose what you believe in.
Thanks again all :) :)

law92
Helper
Helper

Post by law92 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:22 pm

Hi

Did you go to your appointment today to meet with the director?

I think doing your degree is a fantastic idea. I'm currently in my first year of the degree. It's a lot of work but it will be well worth it in the end you will have so many more job opportunities at the end of it. Kindergarten teachers are highly valued and sought after in child care centres. And because you have your diploma already you will get a years credit off your degree. I've only worked as an assistant before and just have my cert 3 so I have to do the full 4 years of my degree but I'm just glad that I can have this opportunity to study full time.

Good luck with everything I'm glad you decided not to settle for that job :)

Nicolejenicek

Post by Nicolejenicek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello no I didn't go for that appointment and stayed home to look after my son . I am employed by KU children's services and got calked today for my first 2 casual shifts at a great rate of $30.00 an hour so maybe meant to be.
I will stick to casual unless a great opportunity comes up and look into studying.
Hope your study is going well and if you ever need any ideas glad to help. :)

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi Nicole,

Some things are just meant to be aren't they! I am glad that you figured out what you wanted to do and that you are happy with the decision you made! :mrgreen:

I'm sure you will find a centre that is right for you, one that you will enjoy going to each day and where all staff are mature and work together as a team!

Hope all goes well and if you need anything, remember we are here!

Cheers,

:geek:,
L.A

Nicolejenicek

Post by Nicolejenicek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:07 pm

:):)

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Post by fchaudari76 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 pm

Just my 2 cents -

Not all centres are the same, be it private, non for profit, chain or community. I have worked in all and if I am totally honest the private ones were my best experiences. Staff were valued and standards were maintained. With the larger "chain" type centres I got the underlying attitude of "we will have business no matter what"

You seem to be happy with casual work however if you are ever in for perm work again I would take time to find a centre where you feel you can be happy ... at the end of the day if you are not you can always leave, there is no point staying somewhere you are not valued or somewhere you just are not happy doing your job.

Good luck with the study, it is hard, I am nearly at the end of my degree and sure will be glad when I am done!