Becoming an ect

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
law92
Helper
Helper

Becoming an ect

Post by law92 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:17 pm

I just wanted some advice for Becoming an early childhood teacher.
I was talking to one of the mums at work last week who is actually an early childhood teacher. She's been qualified as a teacher for 3 years now and hasn't been able to find a permanent job working in a school or private school kindy, and has only been able to get contract work. So it got me thinking about what I'm going to do when I complete my degree.

I've enjoyed working in a centre in the past, so I think I will want to be a teacher at a child care centre. I've seen a lot of the early childhood teaching jobs being advertised in centres so I think I'll have a better chance of finding a permanent full time job at a centre rather than a school. Does anyone know what centres look for when recruiting teachers? Does it matter what jobs you've had in the past? I'm asking because currently I'm working at a private school kindy as a casual relief worker, but it's not enough hours for me as I only work a bit in the school holidays and if someone is sick/away. There's another job that I want to apply for which is for a casual assistant at the uni crèche. They offer short term care for children aged 6 weeks to 5 years for a max of 3 hours. The job is for 3 hours per day Monday to Friday. I'm thinking the crèche job will fit in better with my uni schedule as I'll only be working for 3 hours a day, rather than working full days sporadically at the kindy. I also miss working with the younger kids. Also, I really need to be making more money as my partner and I want to buy a house and get married, and we won't be able to do any of those things if I keep working at the kindy.
So, my question is, which job will be looked on more favorably when I go for teaching jobs in the future? The private kindy or the crèche? Or doesn't it matter?

fchaudari76
Scholar
Scholar

Re: Becoming an ect

Post by fchaudari76 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Experience is experience no matter where you have it. If your goal is to be a Kindy Teacher as long as you have had experience with that Kindy age group where should not matter. What matters is that you have the necessary skills and experience and qualifications in order to do that job.