Advice

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
tmac13

Advice

Post by tmac13 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I am in my fourth year of UNE's Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Teaching) (up to age 5). Before I selected this university/course, I initially aimed for USQ's ECT qualification (to teach up to 8 years), as I figured I preferred this age bracket. I applied through QTAC and was unsuccessful (even though I had my diploma). They went off my school grades for some reason I couldn't understand, as I was a mature-age student. It wasn't til later that I realised I should have just applied directly to the university, and I probably would have been accepted. Anyway, upon being knocked back, I applied to UNE. My only concern now is whether I should apply to study primary or 'up to age 8' now...

I was just after some input that may help me weigh up whether it is worth completing another year of study. As I understand, it's near impossible to gain employment at a school unless you go regional/rural. I would love to hear from people who have had experience in both preschool and formal school settings as I've also heard that school is quite rigid, teachers are burning out, and the emphasis on curriculum hugely impacts teacher autonomy... Though this is what I've heard, it's hard to gain an insight on articles alone.

The main reasons I would not want to undertake the extra year for Stage 1/Primary training comes down to the logistics...Another year of study = another year of debt and another year of little to no life (lol).

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom :D

Marissasam

Re: Advice

Post by Marissasam » Fri May 22, 2020 2:06 pm

Thank you for sharing!

Lorina

Re: Advice

Post by Lorina » Fri May 29, 2020 3:44 am

If you study up to age 8, I think you can still work in primary up to year 2 I think. This may be a good option because you have the option of working in an early childhood setting or working in a primary school setting. You may just want to confirm that with your uni.

:geek:,
Lorina