ACCREDITATION LONG DAY CARE PLEASE HELP!

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
helana4
Participator
Participator

ACCREDITATION LONG DAY CARE PLEASE HELP!

Post by helana4 » Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi everyone,

We have accreditation coming up very soon and I have got some last minute concerns, that I have only just thought of.

We have been told that we have to keep to the ratios eg: 20 kids in the kinder room and 2 staff and that we can't leave the room and if we need anything we need to call the office or we have to bring children with us, to keep it within the ratio.

When we have sleep time and if the children want to sleep, we obviously have to put sleep nappy's on. We have no nappy changing facilities (as we are 3-5 end), so I thought that I would have to take the sleeping children to the 0-2 end (where there are nappy changing facilities), but I have realised this may not keep us within the ratio. We have a nappy changing mat in our bathroom at the 3-5 end but have to use it by putting it on the floor. Are we able to do this during accreditation?

Also, do we have to do the full nappy changing procedure when doing sleep nappies? Eg: Washing hands, gloves, paper on the mat etc.

Thanks a lot!

rosie.
Participator
Participator

Re: ACCREDITATION LONG DAY CARE PLEASE HELP!

Post by rosie. » Tue May 28, 2013 9:08 am

Hi Helana4,

I am not sure how much I'll be able to help... but with the nappies - do you really have to put nappies on 5 year old children just because they are going to sleep? Surely the toilet-trained children are fine during sleep time? In my centre, we just make sure all children use the toilet before they go to sleep and don't drink too much before sleep time - obviously those who wear nappies all the time wear them at sleep time too. In your case, I would have thought you'd do that with children aged 3 to 5. I know you may have some in this age group not fully toilet-trained, but surely most would be fine?

In any case, yes you should do the full hygiene procedure. I'm not sure about the mat on the floor sorry, but I would think there would need to be a more hygienic and carer-friendly method.

Just remember, what you do while being observed to ensure you get the best accreditation should be your procedure all of the time, not just to impress the lady :) I hope what I've said doesn't make you more uneasy about it!
Rosie

JNP
Contributor
Contributor

Re: ACCREDITATION LONG DAY CARE PLEASE HELP!

Post by JNP » Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi Helana4,
Just wanted to wish you good luck with the accreditation, I'm sure you will do fine. Just do what you do every day.
Let us know how you go.

Jules:)