A Man who is going to Study Early Childhood Education and Care

FAQs on qualifications, starting a childcare business, starting a new job, contracts etc.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What
chengyw

A Man who is going to Study Early Childhood Education and Care

Post by chengyw » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:07 pm

Hi, this is Ben, age 26. I'm going to study Certificate III and Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care in Perth.

I hope to spend two years on studying and then get a child care job after graduate. I am so excited to come study in Australia!!!

I have several questions and would like to listen to your opinions.

Is child care jobs currently in high demand in Australia?

Do you have any male friend who is working as a child carer?

Do you think a guy is harder to get a job as child carer than woman? (or it is just my prejudice? ^^" )

I really hope to know your views. Welcome to share and discuss.

Thank you!

Mr Ally

Re: A Man who is going to Study Early Childhood Education and Care

Post by Mr Ally » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:31 pm

Hi Ben
First and foremost,ur most welcome to the industry,you really made the best choice,am happy for you,apart from being educator/teacher to these beautiful souls but also you get the chance to learn so many different things from children because every child is unique in so many ways!
Before being in this industry as a male educator I had the same perception that as a man you will never get a job because the industry has been dominated by female educators,but I was wrong ,just got my job the first week when I went to the centre for practical as a student!
Apart from that ,the industry needs male educators as well,it's good for the industry and parents love that,!
Enjoy your studies and welcome once again

burgerbunz
Participator
Participator

Re: A Man who is going to Study Early Childhood Education and Care

Post by burgerbunz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:25 pm

I think it is brilliant and more men should be in the industry. It's so stereotypical to think that only women can do this job- when clearly there are boys and girls in the centres, so wouldn't it make sense to have both male and female staff? I just completed a prac at a school where there were many male teachers aides (and teachers too- but not in the lower primary grades), and they were WONDERFUL with the students- they were like 'mates' to the boys and suddenly the younger boys had males they could approach rather than having no option but females. With so many children coming from split families, sometimes they really need a male role model in their life- so I think it's WONDERFUL!

In response to your questions:
are jobs in high demand? Apparently they are- but they are not down here in Tasmania- there are very few jobs advertised- and most people get employment through their prac placements- even then, it's usually only casual. I've been applying for jobs for two years- and only just landed one- part time, but a good foot in the door.
We have no males working in the early learning centre, but there are in the primary school, and at the school I did my 3-5 prac in, they had male teachers aides. (and most were mature age 30-40+ one had 10 grandchildren!!)
I don't think there will be any issue with you being male- most places would jump at the opportunity to have a male staff member (I know I would!)

Amanda