Questions About Work Experience

General discussions on Certificate 3 and Certificate 4 in Children's Services and Childcare Traineeship FAQs.
Forum rules
Please read: Forum Rules and Regulations and Where to Post What

IMPORTANT: Do not post Assignment Questions in this forum. This forum is for general questions related to Certificate 3. Please refer to Cert 3 Assignment Support Forum for questions related to Assignments!
Melbourne

Questions About Work Experience

Post by Melbourne » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Hi all,

About to go on my first work experience. Have some questions for you:

My lecturer suggested having a bag of tricks. Things to show the children that are new. She suggested books and small toys. Have you had any small items that were a big hit with children?

Should I learn a few children's books in advance? You are kind of reading themup side down when you face the pictures to the children? Interested to here of any favourites. My nephews' currently love " Parahanas don't eat bananas".

Should I learn some children's songs?

Did you have any activities planned in advanced? Is this a good idea? I thought the centre would have there own thing going?

How dirty do you find your clothes get?

Any tips for me? I want to do a great job!

Lorina

Re: Questions About Work Experience

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Having a bag of tricks is a good idea... Keeps the children interested and engaged!

Not only stories but you could also do puppets and felts. Even something as simple as 3 Little Pigs that you can do using puppets would really get the children excited! You could even make up your own story with props that you provide... Having something like this gets the whole group involved, not just one child... I was just thinking you could even have some of your own special toys from your childhood or photos from a holiday etc. that you could share with the children... They also learn something about you as well.

Children's songs are also good to know. Especially if they have actions along with them. Here are a few that may help:

Rhymes and Songs

With books, when reading them with the children, you hold the book out to the side and read it... That way you can see the words while you're reading. Any book that you enjoy reading would be fine to add to your bag of tricks. My 3year old loved Dr Seuss books at the moment and she had continued that since she was 2. So, my vote is for Dr Seuss. Like, I said whatever you enjoy reading!

With activities planned in advance, as a student there may be some that you need to plan for your tasks or assessments but other than that the activities will be pre-planned and according to the program in the room. You will be in the room, supporting educators, observing and getting hands on experience.

About your clothes, they do get dirty...especially with paint or food. It's a good idea to just take a spare top in case and always take a hat with you which you can wear outside, preferably not a cap...

Here are some tips to do during work placement:

Work Placement In Childcare

Hope this gives you an idea on what to expect during placement!

:geek:,
Lorina

Lorina

Re: Questions About Work Experience

Post by Lorina » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:18 pm

Just wanted to add...Have a great time, write down any good ideas you see during your time, play with the children and be supportive to the staff! If there is anything your unsure of or have any issues make sure you let the educators know so they will help you out!

I'm also here if you need help!

Enjoy!

:geek:,
Lorina