Scaffolding Holistic Approaches

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
LexyRory

Scaffolding Holistic Approaches

Post by LexyRory » Mon May 25, 2020 9:06 am

So I have some questions around holistic approaches.
The first one which is:
- Explain the practice of a holistic approach?
I have said "Paying attention to a childs physical, personal, social, emotional and spiritual wellbeing as well as cognitive aspects of their learning. It allows curiosity and lets children learn naturally and allows them to be creative. It helps them to develop their skills and to build upon their strengths."

Then I need to list 3 activities for each age group that scaffold holistic development which I am stuck on.

Where can I locate activities that scaffold holistic development for infants, toddlers and pre schoolers?

Lorina

Re: Scaffolding Holistic Approaches

Post by Lorina » Fri May 29, 2020 3:07 am

This may help:

Physical:

Moving activities – moving through the woods, climbing trees, balancing on logs, moving items between locations.
Fine Motor Skills – building shelters, woodland craft, learning knots, building fires, using hand tools, cooking
Just experiencing the woodland environment can help develop physical senses.
Emotional:

Setting tasks that require perseverance and resilience through having another go. A prime example for this is lighting fires.
Enhance calmness through not pressuring time restraints.
Setting actives that give a sense of achievement when finished: fire lighting, building a shelter, woodland craft.
Social:

Working as part of a group.
Many woodland activities incorporate working as a group: shelter building, collecting fire wood, building woodland crafts.
Setting groups projects/challenges.
Intellectual:

Again working in groups: shelter building, collecting fire wood, building woodland crafts. Introduce an element of discussion to allow clients to talk about the task and the best way to complete it.
Creative activities: making art using the natural materials around them. Give them a specific objective for the art.
Encouraging reflection following an activity, discussing what we achieved and learnt.
Moral/Spiritual:

Playing different games and then allowing children to develop their own. Children will have to develop rules that are fair and just.
Respect and love for the woodland. Teach how to care and protect the woodland, considering the long term impact for future generations.
A chance for quiet meditation.

Ref: http://learningintheleaves.co.uk/holistic-development

:geek:,
Lorina