Environment That Supports Emotional Needs Of Children

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Savini

Environment That Supports Emotional Needs Of Children

Post by Savini » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:58 pm

Hi I am stuck with my last assignment. I am running short of ideas. If anyone could please help me with the following questions it would be great.
1. How can i establish an environment that encourages children to complete tasks themselves
(It would be great if example is provided)
2. How can I respond to the emotional needs of children.
3. How can I Settle New arrivals

4. How to contribute to the effective operation of the work group
5.How to work cooperatively with others

It would be great if anyone can help me with these questions.

Thanks
Savi
Last edited by Lorina on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: topic heading has been edited

Lorina

Re: Introduction to children's services

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Savi,

I would like to suggest a few articles to you which is available on this site in Resources which may help you out with your questions.

1. Separation Anxiety In Children

2. Child Development Stages of Behaviour

3. Kids Playing Areas

4.Building Positive Relationships With Children

Hopefully once reading these articles you will get a better idea on how to complete your assignment,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A

Savini

Post by Savini » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:28 pm

Thanks a lot L.A. I shall go through them.

Regards
Savini

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:46 am

Hey I might be able to help with some of the questions.
PROVIDE AN ENVIRONMENT TO ENCOURAGE CHILDREN TO COMPLETE TASKS THEMSELVES:
- Provide a place where each child can keep their personal belongings eg: lockers and/or baskets with the childs name on them.
- Have furniture, equipment and materials that is child friendly and in good condition.
- The furniture, equipment and other materials should be adapted so that children with varying abilities can be involved in all areas of the room.
- Have equipment and materials on low shelves, encouraging children to select and use equipment on their own.
- The shelves should be kept nwat and uncluttered so the children can see what equipment is available.
- Organise equipment logically and put it in places where it is to be used so the children can find what they want.
- Label shelves with pictures that show the children where the equipment belongs.
- Display childrens artwork in a child-focused way and with care
- Have pictures on the walls, in books, and in learning materials that reflect the cultural and social backgrounds of the chldren in the group.
- Provide equipment that ensures success for all children regardless of ability.
- Provide equipment that children can use independently, without the help of an adult.
- Provide a range of movable equipment so that children have the opportunity to organise and arrange their environment.
- Providing mirrors for the children to see themselves in as well as photographs of themselves and their families supports and promotes self esteem.

RESPOND TO EMOTIONAL NEEDS OF CHILDREN

The environment that we provide for the children in our care is highly important to the childrens emotional needs, education and satisfaction. Children need warm, caring and nurturing environments, where they are treated with dignity and respect. They need an environment that provides them with consistent, long term guidence and support .
Routines are a crucial factor in meeting childrens emotional needs. Children take comfort in knowing what will happen next in their day, therefore, we must inform and prepare them for any changes to their routine. A consistant routine allows children to feel some control and comfort from knowing what will happen next and what is expected of them. Routine gives children a stable and predictable environment and should be designed with their needs in mind.
We need to be tuned in to the feelings, needs and emotions of the children, so that we can appropriately recognise, and aknowledge and respond to their need openly, appropriately and with respect.
We need to be familiar with the ways in which children show their feelings and to the fact that childrens emotions are often directly reflected in their behavior.
As carers we need to role model appropriate ways of expressing feelings and emotions. We need to use culturally and developementally appropriate language that is non biased, as well as key words that the child understands. We need to be familiar with all the ways that children communicate and closely observe them, to see if we can see any verbal and non verbal messages (eg: artwork, body language etc.) that they may be trying to communicate. We need to make sure that our body language is displayed appropriately.
We need to recognise childrens feelings by paying close attention to their facial expressions, gestures/movements, sounds, need for personal space etc.
Once we have recognised the childrens feelings , we need to accept and aknowledge them, and accept that the way they are feeling is important.
Our communication should reflect how the child is feeling and what their needs are at that specific point. This means that we will often have to change our communication style according to the child.
For a child in our care to feel safe, secure and valued we also need to be familiar with and practice appropriate communication skills, one of these skills is attentive listening. This will help the child feel like they are important and what they have to say is important and valued. We need to get down to the childs eye level and have our face and body turned towards them (at the same time we need to be aware of any cultural, religious and personal beliefs or preferences with regard to personal space). We should never ignor or pass over the child and always stay in sight and hearing range.
As children grow and mature their emotional needs and reactions will change. There are many things we can do to emotionally support and comfort a child who is feeling distressed such as :
- Physical comfort; gentle touch, a cuddle, putting your arm around them
- Softly rocking and or singing to the child
- Offering the child a familiar comforter
- Openly aknowledge a childs rights to express their feelings, while assisting them to do so in an acceptable way. Their feelings need to be identified and responded to appropriately (as discussed above)
- Distractng a child can provide temporary relief from distress, (we need to remember that the undelying cause still needs to be addressed) This technique is often useful when workingwith toddlers who iften experience very strong emotions but reject physical comfort.
- For older childen, talking through a problem or discussing situations can help to reassure them and reduce distress.
- Frequent interactions and responsive communication builds strong trusting relationships between carers and children which enables the carer to respond appropriately to the child.

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:47 am

I hope that helps you abit... good luck :)

Savini

Post by Savini » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:52 pm

Thanks a lot Steffelz ..your reply has helped me a lot :-)

Steffelz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Steffelz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:45 pm

YAY!! glad I could help :)