Develop understanding of children's interests and developmental needs..Help!

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
melDollxx

Develop understanding of children's interests and developmental needs..Help!

Post by melDollxx » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:16 pm

Okay so I have read Chapter six of Birth to big school(my textbook), I'm having a little trouble with the the last two questions in task one.

2. In relation to professional conduct describe three factors that should be taken into account when observing and recording information about children.

I have put:

*Confidentiality-All information gathered about the child/children should be regarded as confidential and should not be discussed with anyone.

*Record without bias-Observations and reports should be written in an objective manner and avoid terms that label or stereotype children.

*Record information without spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors- Documentation should be free of errors in spelling and grammar, as it may be read by parents, colleagues and other professionals.

Now I am starting to wonder if maybe I have misunderstood the question and really have answered the third question which is:

3.List the key factors that may impact on an individual's ability to observe and record information about children.

melDollxx

Re: Develop understanding of children's interests and developmental needs..Help!

Post by melDollxx » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:36 pm

Or I was thinking the third question could be answered like:

A child might be tired or upset and cranky from teething, so they may be acting different on a day, so it might impact the carers ability to to record information. Because the child might be acting different then they normally would so an observation for that day isn't necessarily accurate for that child.

melDollxx

Re: Develop understanding of children's interests and developmental needs..Help!

Post by melDollxx » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:37 pm

I hope I am on the right track. c:

cathiek
Coach
Coach

Post by cathiek » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi there
The way I read it - q3 - is list the key factors of the person doing the observations - not the child they are observing.
So for me the answer relates to the factors that may impact the observers ability - this could be things like time available for observation, the observers own personal background (eg: if they are really neat themselves they may judge the child on scruffy presentation of work), distractions from other children, how tired/happy/unwell the observer may be feeling. Lots of things can impact on the way we observe. In relation to recording, things like neatness and consistent recording can impact on our obs, if we scrawl and cant understand it afterwards or use abbreviations that make no sense. Hope this has helped.
Cathie

melDollxx

Post by melDollxx » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:50 pm

Thank-you fr your help!