Certificate 3 - Observations on each developmental domain

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
Fizzy

Certificate 3 - Observations on each developmental domain

Post by Fizzy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Hi all, i have just stumbled across this site and it seems to be really helpful,

I am currently studying my cert 3 in children's services and hoping someone can help me with one of my assignments. I have had to observe a child the child is 14 months old and we have to answer this question For each developmental domain (physical, language, cognitive, social and emotional and creativity) you must discuss how you would:
1. Build the relationship with your focus child
2. Play and interact with your focus child
3. Support and encourage their independence
4. Extend and scaffold your focus child's learning.
any help would be great appreciated :P

Lorina

Re: Assignment help observations

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:36 pm

Hi Fizzy,

Here are some ideas with your question:

Physical Development -

Point 1 – Hold baby in your arms and rock gently side to side.
Point 2 – Roll a soft ball to the baby.
Point 3- Encourage the baby to walk by providing push along toys.
Point 4 – Take photos of the baby through the observation.

Language Development -
Point 1 – Constantly talk to the baby about what you are doing (like when your changing their nappy or it’s time for a rest).
Point 2 – Read stories and sing nursery rhymes to the baby.
Point 3 – Point to objects around the room encourage baby to say what they are, begin to teach the name of simple colors and other children’s names.
Point 4 – During group time read a story (I would read the same story for a week at this age so they can familiarize themselves with the characters in the story and repetition is also good at this age) and use visuals such as hand puppets or felt boards while singing nursery rhymes etc.

I’m sorry but I have to get back to the rest of your question tomorrow… I actually have to go out for lunch right NOW and my sister is getting uptight cuz I’m not ready yet…hehehehe…. Hopefully this should get you started….

:geek:,
L.A

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:26 pm

Hi Fizzy,

Sorry I couldn’t get back to you yesterday with your question… BUT this should help you with the rest of your assignment.

Cognitive Development-
Point 1 – Play a hiding game with an object and encourage the child to try and find it.
Point 2 – Set up some blocks with animal figurines and help the child to build with them.
Point 3 – Encourage the child to pack away when they finished playing.
Point 4 – Provide photographic evidence/anecdotes on child engaging through play. Extend upon child’s interest and development. If the child can build 5 block tower try to extend it to 10 blocks etc.

Social and Emotional Development-
Point 1 – Offer positive and encouraging reinforcement throughout the day.
Point 2 – Provide specific toys such as (cars, dolls etc.) that the child enjoys playing with.
Point 3 – Encourage basic social skills such as sharing and taking turns.
Point 4 – Take photos of child interacting and spending time with staff and peers.

Creativity Development -
Point 1 – Offer sensory and tactile experience and talk to the child about them.
Point 2 – Do lots of messy art such as finger painting, sponge painting, easel painting etc..
Point 3 – Offer paper and crayons/pencils on a table to support a child’s creativity.
Point 4 – Provide samples of work the child has created throughout the year.

Have a great week of work this week and yes FINALLY public holidays :P  !!

:geek:,
L.A

Fizzy

Post by Fizzy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:16 pm

Thank you so much for your help, i really appreciate it, great information i now understand it a lot better. Sorry if i made you late for lunch lol ;)