aboriginal studies

Forum for students doing their Certificate 3 in Childcare Studies.
Forum rules
IMPORTANT: Student's support in our forum will now be a part of our Premium Subscription service. This means students who have purchased a Premium Subscription will now be offered complimentary support in our Student Forums by us. This will only be available to students who have purchased a Premium Subscription. Click here to subscribe.
rikkay85

aboriginal studies

Post by rikkay85 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:26 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently doing CHCIC302A Support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait islander families to participate in children's services. I have case study about a boy Charlie living in Alice Springs Charlie is Aboriginal. He suffers from non-contagious skin allergy . The local land council is Tangentyere council.
QUESTION 1 how would you find out more about his culture? (ASK HIS FAMILY)
2. Explain how you would process charlie's health information in a culturally sensitive way in line with centre policy :roll: :roll: (what the?)
3. Describe an activity where Charlie's family could share their cultural knowledge and enhance the experience of cultural diversity for the other children at the centre.

Lorina

Re: aboriginal studies

Post by Lorina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:19 pm

Hello Rikkay,

I got some more ideas about your questions-

1. how would you find out more about his culture?

Yes, ask his family but you can also go to the library or look it up on the internet. They have plenty of resources out now about aboriginal culture.

2. Explain how you would process charlie's health information in a culturally sensitive way in line with centre policy.

During enrollment ask parents to fill out any allergy/medical/health forms where the parents can write information and details about the skin allergy if they are uncomfortable talking about it. Look over the information that has been written on the forms and have brief conversation with the parents about it if necessary.

3. Describe an activity where Charlie's family could share their cultural knowledge and enhance the experience of cultural diversity for the other children at the centre.

Share a dream time story or discuss the importance of the main aboriginal colours used in aboriginal art. The children could make their own aboriginal art using the aboriginal colours.

Good Luck!

:geek:,
L.A

rikkay85

Post by rikkay85 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:32 pm

thanks so much. I really am grateful

navjot

Post by navjot » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:06 pm

hi..i need help regading this study
Research activity 4
What considerations must be given when greeting members of families and children from indigenous Australian and Sri Lankan backgrounds? How might their cultural backgrounds change your or their expectation of the way to be greeted?

navjot

Post by navjot » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:07 pm

Research activity 4
What considerations must be given when greeting members of families and children from indigenous Australian and Sri Lankan backgrounds? How might their cultural backgrounds change your or their expectation of the way to be greeted?

sume

Post by sume » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:05 pm

thanks

Lorina

Post by Lorina » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Hey Nav,

I'm going to give you a link to a post that in the response includes an attachment called "Working with the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community". I suggest that you download this attachment and read through the information and this should give you an idea of what to include in the answer to this question. Here is the link: http://www.aussiechildcarenetwork.com/v ... f=35&t=402

Let me know if you require further help,

Cheers :geek:,
L.A